G2 Engine is here! *or* Nyah, nyah - I told you it can sample!

Is.

• Members

Wow. Just...wow. This thing is amazing. I will give full first impressions when I come down from my modular high.

For now, I'd just like to post something that I did *very* quickly on the G2, it's a primitive experiment in sampling. Basically, I set two different delay lines to maximum feedback, and set them 1/16th note in length. Then I ran each through it's own envelope (just a simple gate-type because I was in a hurry) which was each triggered by a sequencer. I then took two simple drum sounds, and sampled one into each delay line. In that form, each one sounded like a 16th roll. That was then gated by the envelope triggered by the sequencers, so I made a simple beat. Yeah, I've still got work to do on it (I'm having sync issues), I wasn't really even trying to make it sound good. I just wanted to show that it could be done. The variations you hear are not beat science to say the least, but they are also not flaws, they are intentional. They are just to demonstrate that the two samples are independent of each other. I will keep working on this project, eventually I will have a full drum beat with a closed hihat sound, a clap, a kick and a snare, and I will be able to program variations and such, and also run it through the rest of the engine. It will be fun.

http://members.cox.net/uvac/quickG2sampledemo.mp3

• Members

Okay - here's a clip of my first noodle. This is my second patch, the first thing I did on my G2 was plug in the oscs right to the output for fun (it made a loud buzz if you couldn't guess!), then I went straight into this...so I'm still new at this, keep that in mind if you have a critical ear. I could get seriously addicted to making these...I must learn more about the logic singals!

http://members.cox.net/uvac/Noodle.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by AgtOrange

If it's self-running, there wouldn't be any legato, right? Or am I missing something?

Yes, it's a joke carrying over from that garagantuan P120 thread. rintincop says that the P120 has legato phrasing problems.

• Members

i salute you for making some demos soon as you got the machine.

I know there are other people on this forum who have G2 for a while now, and i was about to post a thread asking them to do some DEMOS for us!

So how about it guys?

Some filtering/sweeping , usual stuff? So we get a better sense of quality this machine gives.

Mildbill?

;)

• Members

Originally posted by Is.

Okay - here's a clip of my first noodle. This is my second patch, the first thing I did on my G2 was plug in the oscs right to the output for fun (it made a loud buzz if you couldn't guess!), then I went straight into this...so I'm still new at this, keep that in mind if you have a critical ear. I could get seriously addicted to making these...I must learn more about the logic singals!

Nice! Sounds microtonal (that is, some pitches are "off" equal temperament).

-g

• Members

It sounds good over a range of pitch and filter settings from what I've heard. A lot of synths don't.

I'm VERY close to buying one of these. I have to check out how much the editor may be a work in progress still. If it's not doing FM and Additive stuff beyond the g1's capabilities I won't even bother with the g2, I will just get a classic Nord Mod.

These questions arise from ignorance on my part. Any info to correct this would be like hella pee-chee, dude.

• Members

Lately, there's been a spate of complaint posts about the G2 editor on the nord modular list hosted at code404.com. Some of them though are bitching about how you can't hook up more than one G2 at a time to your PC to edit. :rolleyes:

The bad thing about that list is my mailbox is kept close to full by the traffic and patches that are posted daily.

The good thing about it is the patches that are posted daily. I must have saved over 100 patches by now, half for G2, half for the Classic. The noodles are what I'm probably going to play with first on my Micromodular, followed by the audio input. I'm looking forward to connecting my Triwave to the audio input, and having the noodle really go nuts...

-g

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

Nice! Sounds microtonal (that is, some pitches are "off" equal temperament).

-g

Yes, the reason for that is that I made an LFO that sounds kind of like random plucking, and another LFO randomly modulating the pitch, so even though it sort of sounds like it might have been played on something, it really wasn't. So it's not really tonal at all, in that for one of the timbres there are no discrete pitches.

• Members

Originally posted by mr.rob

I have to check out how much the editor may be a work in progress still. If it's not doing FM and Additive stuff beyond the g1's capabilities I won't even bother with the g2, I will just get a classic Nord Mod.

No offence, but I don't get the reasoning here...

No, the G2 doesn't do FM and additive stuff beyond what the Classic does right now...but it will since it IS a work in progress...

The Classic does what it does and will never do anything more...

• Members

Originally posted by mr.rob

...If it's not doing FM and Additive stuff beyond the g1's capabilities I won't even bother with the g2, I will just get a classic Nord Mod...

For additive synthesis, the G2 is still missing the 6-oscillator sine bank. You can use six separate oscillators as a substitute, of course, but that requires some more DSP.

For FM synthesis, the G2 has a new "phase modulation" oscillator that more accurately mimics what a DX7 did. The v1.1 manual is also teasing us with pictures of "DX Operator" and "DX Router" modules that will make it easy to copy the DX7 architecture.

Chet

• Members

Originally posted by ChetSinger

For additive synthesis, the G2 is still missing the 6-oscillator sine bank. You can use six separate oscillators as a substitute, of course, but that requires some more DSP.

For FM synthesis, the G2 has a new "phase modulation" oscillator that more accurately mimics what a DX7 did. The v1.1 manual is also teasing us with pictures of "DX Operator" and "DX Router" modules that will make it easy to copy the DX7 architecture.

Chet

It's missing the sine bank? I hope they add that soon. The new "PM" oscillator moght be enough to get me on board.

As a work in progress there will be more additions. I am patient enough to wait for them.

I am still considering the classic NM.

Part of my my reasoning is that a used NM classic costs less than the G2 engine and I get a sexy red synth that way. The classic still works. It does plenty of cool things. I have other gear to round out what it doesn't do.

But I'll probably get the G2 engine.

Archived