2 x Mojave MA200 precursors and other microphones

animix

• Members

Both the Mojave precursors were hand built/point-to-point wired based on the following article.:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/tube_mic_25_1.shtml

Mic #1 has a Marshall V67 green shell and gold plated grille. The tube is a Raytheon S5940W. It has a Jensen output tranny and sweet, sorta' "warm & forward" sound to it. It's an excellent vocal mic and the femmes tend to gravitate to this mic. The Marshall capsule was replaced with with a Peluso cardioid capsule. It increased the level of detail a bit to my ears.

Mic #2 also has a Marshall V67 shell but with the black body and grille (the "Mogami" edition) This mic has the same basic components, Jensen transformer and Peluso capsule. The tube is a Phillips ECG 3416 which my rough measurements show to output about 2dB less than the Raytheon in Mic #1. This is really insignificant but when the mics are gain matched, this mic has a very smooth "buttery" kind of quality when used up close. It's not smeared at all and very detailed, but a different quality from Mic #1 when crowded. If I were going to close mic a vocalist with an aggressive midrange, I'd grab this one to add a little touch of smoothing.

Both these mics have served me well. I have compared them to AT 4060's and I preferred these, personally. They are very nice on instruments too and the only reason I'm offering these up is that I've got rooms here that are very omni friendly, I am not using cardioid mics nearly as much as in the past and have a (very expensive) matched pair of Manley cardioid LCD's to replace these if cardioids are needed. As far as detail goes, these can stand toe-to-toe with the Manleys though they have a different character.

A similar mic that was built by the same individual who built these (an excellent circuit man) was recently described by a friend of mine (who has reviewed gear for a certain magazine and has heard quite a few products over the years,) as being "not hyped at all, not bright and not dark, but having a little gravitas that kind of sneaks up on you. It's not easily noticed until you try a different mic on the same source."

The thread is here if you want to read it:

http://news.parisnewsgroup.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=IDEA.EMUEnsoniqPARIS&item=197487&utag=

Both of these come with an external PSU, 7 pin PSU>mic cable, and shock mount. I found a couple of big plastic pistol road cases at a gun store and

they hold the mics, mounts, cable and PSU snugly and securely.

Asking $450.00 each, plus shipping.

Also.........

Matched pair of Rode NT5 small condenser mics in factory case-$250.00 (these are "mint")- I have never used them other than to hook them up to listen. Reason for selling-redundancy-$250.00

AKG C-460B CK 61 cardioid capsule. No mic clip or case. "Mint condition"-$325.00.

Studio Projects C-1 with Case and shock mount "mint" condition-$150.00

Studio Projects C-1 without case or shock mount "like new" condition.-$100.00

I can provide pictures of these items upon request and if you want to discuss any of them, I can be reached at 970-769-0488. I am new to this forum, but my EBay name is animixstudio and I have 100% perfect feedback.

:thu:

Doug Joyce

Animix Productions

Durango, CO

Archived