My Dilema. Need advice:)

tdm71

• Members

Hey Guys-

Over the years I have watched my studio swell to having a bunch of keyboards and modules (15). Most I have picked up as bargains and some I got good deals on when they were new. However, I find that going through 10 keyboards for the perfect string sound or whatever, is tedious and (getting to be) a very boring and momentum killing process. I realize I have a lot of overlap and that I should scale down some. I'm really looking to change the way I work right now and I'm thinking about incorporating some new technology (soft: synths, samplers, production tools, etc...) to my production process hopefully to make me work more effectively and efficiently.

I basically work this way:

Turn on my gear and fire up DP in my Mac. I program my drum tracks first (using my Akai s5000 and my sample cds) and work my way up from there, leaving everything virtual (midi) till I record the audio in Pro Tools where I do all my post editing, mixing, tweaking, efx, and so-on. Pretty straight forward I guess.

Here's my set-up:

(CORE GEAR- Heart of my studio)

Yamaha Motif ES8 w/ PLG-AN

Triton Rack w/ exb: 1/2/4/5/6&7/9 & Moss

XV5080 w/ SRX: World/Orch/Keys

Virus B

ION

Nord Lead 3

Akai S5000

Here's my other pieces I'm questioning:

Korg TR-RACK

Ensoniq MR-RACK w/ Piano/World/ Urban

Kurzweil K2000R w/Orch/Contemp

Emu Proteus 2000 w/ XL/Techno/Beat

Emu Vintage Pro w/ World & Phatt

Emu Vintage Keys Plus

Korg O1RW

Roland JD990 w/ Synth card

I also have the following software:

DP

Cdxtract

Aksys (Akai sample program)

Recycle

Pro Tools

just purchased the NI Komplete 2 ( I had FM7) so I'm looking forward to working with the synths and samplers that are in there.

So here's my Dilema:

If I sell all or most of my gear in question, I will not get what I paid for them and they might not be worth selling ( I know no one EVER does). Ex: my TR-RACK cost me $850 5 years ago and now people are selling them on ebay for about $300!!! Do I take a $500 loss just to clear out some space and overlap??? And if I do sell it, I don't want to replace it with another software synth that does essentially the same thing (ex. a $300 soft synthrompler).

Basically, I'm looking for any and all advice on new programs (synths, plugs, samplers, etc..) that will complement my core set-up and allow me to work more diversely (rather than just scrolling through presets) to complete an arrangement.

Is there anything that has really changed the way YOU work??

Any suggestions on my gear in question as to what you would keep with my core set-up and why??

THANKS AND I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE

;)

• Members

Well, you have a bunch of nice VAs, so I would start by synthesizing your own sounds with those. I'd say if you were to get rid of anything, you should lose some of the workstation/rompler type things. I'd pick the best one, (whichever you use the most,) and get rid of the other two. I'm at work, so I can't go through it piece by piece, but you've got a lot of good tools for creating your own sounds, (instead of preset surfing,) so I'd put them to good use. You really need only so many things that play back samples. I'd thin things out in that area. Just my quick thoughts on that..

• Members

I feel the same, and I only have five hard synths. I think you should assign "purposes" to each synth and sell the rest off.

Keep one VA, one sampler, one workstation / general purpose sound-maker (like the XV), and a sequencing / mixing program. Then you should re-evaluate your synths and see if you like some more than others, despite the overlaps.

I really think you have a ton of stuff that you don't need, even though the tweakability value is through the roof. :eek:

• Members

Don't think about this {censored} like an investment banker. Get the right tools to make your music. Software or hardware, either way you will be alright.

I would be set up like this:

Fantom X or Triton Xtreme(or just keep one of the workstations you have)

Nord Modular g2(or keep the virus, or preferable get a g2 and keep the virus)

NI Komplete

Garritan Personal Orchestra

Spectrasonics Atmosphere

Kurzweil KSP8

Lexicon PCM 81

This is me pretending I am you.

Archived