Best Rock and Funk Keyboard Method

• Members

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what you recommend as the best method for learning and mastering rock/funk keyboard. I am a fairly experienced keyboardist in classical and jazz, but I have a rough time with rock and funk, especially improvising with them. I was wondering what book or other type of method you recommend. My band mainly plays rock/funk, so I would appreciate your comments as soon as possible. Thanks a lot!

• Members

I would first recommend listening to a lot of blues(yes, blues). A lot of the early James Brown funk and early rock has bluesy changes. Sly & The Family Stone is definitely worth an earfull. Listen closely to what the keyboard players are doing, how they play and groove in the pocket.

• Members

One word: gospel.

Strange as it may seem at first thought, you can learn a ton of funk/rock/blues method from the stuff. Reason being is that it's mostly key-dominant lead.

It's a good all-encompasing style bridge.

• Members

My music teacher used to tell me this, and I didn't realize the importance for years:

Listen

As far as funk/slapping, here's a few suggestions:

Trampeled Underfoot-Led Zeppelin, a real groovy clavinet going on, with a nice little lead in the midde

Stevie Wonder- Superstitous *nuff said*

Deep Purple- Hush. Straight ahead rock & roll. If you look up B-3 solo in you're dictionary, I think there's a picture of Mr Lord in there.

All of the above share the same, let's call it "drumming" technique.

My 3c

Archived