Help beginner choose

Nuppu

• Members

Hi!

I'm buying my first synth and I'd currently have a chance to get one of these setups:

1.Edirol 61-key midi controller (or Evolution MK461)

2.And the synth would be:

-Roland XV3080. Used, no chance to check the condition before

buy, 700e

-Roland XV5050. Used from a music store, 650e

-E-mu Proteus 2500, new from a music store, 450e

I mainly need the synth for pads, orchestral stuff and real sounding acoustic instruments (not guitars). I'm not planning to do techno or dance. So which one of the synths would you recommend? Pros and cons? Does the Proteus have a possibility to create same kind of layered sounds as the Rolands do?

Thanks in advance.

Nuppu

• Members

The XV-5050 has replaced the XV-3080. It's just a pain to edit it without a computer (according to the Sound On Sound review, it took 5 minutes what would've taken a XV-5080 only 2 or so, from the front panel - good thing there's an editor for it!).

The Proteus would rather be limited by its amount of effects - only 2 global FX if I recall correctly, while the Roland has a considerable more powerful array than that.

Here are some SoS reviews:

XV-5050

Proteus 2500

Personally I'd go for the XV - the editor and the USB appeal more to me than the larger front-panel real estate (and therefore, bulky size) of the Proteus.

• Members

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

So you guys would both choose the 5050 rather than the 3080, although 3080 has 128 note polyphony and more expansion capabilities? I think I'll be going with one of the XVs, but it's a little hard for me to decide which one..

Did I understand right, that the 3080 is much harder to edit? It can't be edited via computer?

• Members

The 5050 is the one who's harder to edit, but there were apparently a number of flaws in the 3080, and instead of doing it right and taking back units, the 5050 was released. Roland has done this a number of times (SH3-A, R8mkII - pretty much everything with a mkII on it, I guess).

I guess that the 3080 is as hard to edit as a 1080 or XP-30.

Archived