ION vs. Virus Classic?

• Members

*does the pee pee dance*

I'm in a bind. Both sound real good.. (yes I know the classic is a B). The contrast in the sounds is obvious between the ION and B. I would really enjoy having both, and until I am able to afford it, it's one or the other. With the classic I'd be dying for a set of keys, and I could buy a controller and then patiently wait it out untill I had the ION. But the ION is cheaper and has keys attatched..

Can anybody tip my scales?

• Members

Agreed. The only thing that would make me get the Virus over the ION is the polyphony. I multitrack a lot though, so that's not a concern for me. In fact my ION quite frequently turns into a mono-synth for me, so I can turn up the unisono and thicken things up.

• Members

They're both good instruments; I've heard sound demos of the Virus and played the Ion, and I'd choose the Ion, because of the variety of filter options, mainly, as well as the really (I thought) simple and well-laid-out user interface... I just really like it. I'd love to have an Ion, a Virus KC, a Waldorf Q+... but I couldn't afford or justify those purchases, so.... :)

Kiru

• Members

I like large poly sometimes, but I also like having everything in the rack assigned to a separate channel with one good voice. I used to impose limitations when I'd start a track once in a while. I'd pick three or four synths and a drum source, and write using one voice from each. Things usually turned out pretty well.

Archived