What! AKAI S5000 - no hard drive??

Midiguy

• Members

I just bought an AKAI S5000 on ebay for cheap. I don't think there's a built-in hard drive - is this true, or am I not getting something? This would make is even less ideal to use in live situations as you'd have to lug around an external hard drive?

What about the Z4 and Z8 - don't they have built in drives? I just assumed as big as the S5000 is (physically) that it would have a monster of a hard drive as well.

• Members

The S5/6000 does not come standard with a hard drive.

get back on Ebay and buy a nice 7 dollar 4 gigabyte SCSI hard drive, and a 7 dollar DC wiring harness from Akai. voila! you will have an internal hard drive.

if you're scared of doing that, you should take the sampler to a computer shop and pay them 20 bucks to install it. don't go to a music shop, they won't have a clue what to do.

while you're at it, get the USB card. it's great. especially with OS 10 on the macintosh ... totally sweet.

I swear by my S5000. it's the greatest 16 bit all digital sampler ever. i swear.

• Members

also get a 10 dollar SCSI CD-ROM drive and a 4 dollar cable while you're at it.

legacy SCSI hardware is _cheap_ now. of course, the new stuff is still pricey as hell. however, that SCSI interface is much quicker for CD-ROM loading than USB.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

The S5/6000 does not come standard with a hard drive.

get back on Ebay and buy a nice 7 dollar 4 gigabyte SCSI hard drive, and a 7 dollar DC wiring harness from Akai. voila! you will have an internal hard drive.

if you're scared of doing that, you should take the sampler to a computer shop and pay them 20 bucks to install it. don't go to a music shop, they won't have a clue what to do.

while you're at it, get the USB card. it's great. especially with OS 10 on the macintosh ... totally sweet.

I swear by my S5000. it's the greatest 16 bit all digital sampler ever. i swear.

Just to confirm - you actually mount the hard drive INSIDE the S5000? What are good brands to look for?

Where do I get the wiring harness? This is how the drive is powered?

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

Just to confirm - you actually mount the hard drive INSIDE the S5000? What are good brands to look for?

Where do I get the wiring harness? This is how the drive is powered?

Thanks!

yes, it goes next to the floopy drive. the wiring harness is from Akai, i don't have their number handy. it is how the drive is powered. you'll also need a SCSI ribbon cable.

as far as brands go, i have no idea.

here's a suitable drive: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11150&item=4132450593

• Members

You can install an IDE drive in there, but the kit is expensive new (if still available) and fiddly to install.

Better off with a cheap SCSI drive, though you may have to try a couple for compatibility (I had a couple of IDE drives that didn't work with mine). I'm not sure on the SCSI type for the drive either (whether Ultrawide/Ultra160 or whatever drives etc would be compatible)

• Members

For less than $100 just buy Aksys software package from Akai (it comes with the USB connector to install inside the 5000/6000) and you can drag and drop samples between your computer as well as have the entire guts of the sampler on your computer.

Well worth it!!

• Members

Originally posted by tdm71

For less than $100 just buy Aksys software package from Akai (it comes with the USB connector to install inside the 5000/6000) and you

i have that as well.

they are totally unobtanium in the states right now, unfortunately.

Archived