Your Gear

pagan

• Members

There has been too much talking about is it better to use HW or SW, but I would like you now to rate your gear HW/SW ratio in percents. You can post accurate results in your reply if you like. :)

• Members

I like simple VST's like Atmosphere, V-station, and Vanguard.

Only exception is FM7.

I've played with Z3ta demo before, and may try again in future if bored.

Reaktor is not for me, when I can use Nord modular instead(less flexible, but more streamlined and can do that 'Nord' sound, which for me is a plus :) ).

Other hardware: Roland JV-1080, JP-8080, SH-32, Yamaha AN200, TG33, ALESIS D4.

Plus a few other Romplers that I rarely use(Roland U-20, Alesis QS plus).

Some older stuff no longer hooked up(which there will hopefully be room for, when I re-arrange current setup).

• Members

Originally posted by nSCOURGE

I like simple VST's like Atmosphere, V-station, and Vanguard.

DITTO!

I've got Atmosphere, Culture and Battery, which are all very easy, and very good, I might add.

Then I've got a a Virus KC and a Motif ES6, so I guess I'm about fiddy fiddy!

• Members

hardware:

-Fenix

-Modcan/Cynthia system (parts of it still on order, admittedly)

-MAM RS-3

-Frostwave Resonator

-Nord Modular

-G2 Engine (coming soon)

-Machinedrum

-Sidstation

-Pulse

-A5000

-Eclipse (on order)

-FireworX

-NuVerb

-PCM-81

-Echo Pro

-SDD-3300

-1402 VLZ

-MDR-7506

-PC and peripherals

-Mac (NuVerb host box)

might add a Rumour and/or DP/4 as well.

I have other hardware, but it's for sale, so I won't count it.

software:

-Nord Mod editor

-G2 editor (soon enough)

-Wavelab

-Nuendo (sometimes)

-Waves plugs

-PSP plugs

-Sonic Timeworks plugs

-GRM Tools

-a sys-ex app I forget the name of, kind of similar to MIDI-OX

basically, I just use the PC to edit the Nord and to record and master 2-track mixes. occassionally I'll multi-track in Nuendo if I want to use automation tricks.

so that's the skinny, you can figure out the percentages if you really want to :)

• Members

Still using all hardware for sounds, haven't jumped into the softsynth fray as of yet. I use software for sequencing/editing. Occasionally, I might throw in an Acid tune or two. I have Reason 1.0 and haven't been using it. Planning on going VSTi once I rebuild my PC.

Tuck

• Members

More and more, I'm getting forced into the software realm due to expense. I just can't afford any new hardware, given current pricing trends, but I can realistically acquire some software, so that's what I'm working on.

When I can get a decent softsynth for $250 vs. a hardware equivalent for $2500, the choice becomes obvious. And as I don't currently posess the level of faith in mankind necessary to buy used...

I don't necessarily want it this way, but if I want to remain a musician [such that I am], that's the way it has to be.

I'd definitely go hardware all the way if I could afford it. No question.

• Members

pretty much an ibook, motu828, a mixer, a couple midi controllers, reason and live.

used to use an mpc60 and an s3000 and a few synths...

i was never able to create a whole song when i worked with hardware.

now i can pump out a song when ever i'm inspired.

i hated having to save settings on separte devices, have zip disks, floppy disks, compact flash cards, etc... it would all get way too confusing on picking up where you leave off...

my sound has changed a lot because of it i think, but it actually sounds better to me!

• Members

Not only are all my synths and samplers software, but they're free too! There is something great about owning a whole {censored}load of very good sounding synthesizers that I paid absolutely nothing for.

God bless the people who break their backs to code great synths and put them out there at no cost to the musician.

I once had hardware, TONS of it... analogs, VAs, you name it. Not anymore.

• Members

I play 100% hardware. Occasionally I use an mp3 recording software but only if I need my output in mp3. However, in most cases I don't need it at all and I record directly on magnetic tape.

Greetings,

Martin

• Members

Thank you very much, all pals! That was a good reply you gave. Seems taht most have HW gear and SW sequencer and effects. Also many have few additional good VSTi-s to complete the gear. That was useful guideline to me, thank you! :)

• Members

The best way to navigate through all the hype is to listen carefully to the differences in tonal quality between different hardware and software. There are no universally good rules

Different gear gives you different ranges of good tones appropriate to different applications. Fact of the matter is the software doesn't exact the sounds of most hardware unless it's the exact same algorithm. Software is its own beast. So if a piece requires sound in a certain range which fits exactly with what a hardware reverb or an old analog synth can handle, then why not just use that?

And if you want some really glithcy and cut up sounding tracks, why not use some software to do those processing tasks?

• Members

Hardware:

Korg Triton Classic with Moss Z1 board,sampling

Novation K-Station

Roland D-110

midistudio 49 key controller

Martin Accoustic guitar

6 string electric guitar

electric bass guitar

event 20/20 bas powered monitors

joe meek vc6q

couple mics

gigabyte 8pe667 ulta gig of ram, 3.1 p4 cpu

180 gigs of hard disk space in Raid

delta 66 soundcard

about 10 akai sampling discs

software:

Tracktion audio/sequencer app(dumped Cubase for it, couldnt be happier)

cool edit pro (for audio I like it's Pro tools style audio editing)

Reaktor Sessions (synths, mastering effects, samplers, etc)

Kontakt (sampler)

Crystal (free)

Drumatik (free)

Im definitely mostly hardware based, but I enjoy the software stuff as well. Ever since picking up Reaktor Sessions my gear lust has been killed.

However, the new Korg VST's look pretty nice.

• Members

My mother{censored}ing {censored}:

Korg Oasys PCI

Waldorf Micro Q

Doepfer MS 404

Roland MKS 80

Reaktor

FM7

Absynth

Cube

Radium 61

GR33 for guitar control

I want to get a bunch of efx; A hardware compressor, something like a Kurz KSP 8, Line 6 echo pro, Sans Amp PSA-1 etc.

Considering a Nord Mod though that might be too many synths to grapple. Also, some modulation stomp boxes, maybe a few hardware filters, I'm not sure.I also want Garritan personal orchestra. Seems nifty.

I can do everything in software, but the Oasys PCI sounds better than any of my software. Also the Micro Q and the MKS 80 have unique characteristics I value which I don't get with, say, reaktor even though reaktor can technically do the same architecture of synth as those and does nifty things. FM7 and Cube sound great but don't compete with the comprehensive Oasys package unless I combine them with other efx, like those from the Oasys in which case I;m not using oasys synths only oasys FX with softsynths and hardware,.

• Members

Originally posted by pagan

There has been too much talking about is it better to use HW or SW, but I would like you now to rate your gear HW/SW ratio in percents. You can post accurate results in your reply if you like.
:)

depends on what is it used for:

software - DAW, editing, sampler w hd streaming, compression(mix)

hardware - classic synthesis (analog, fm etc), effects, filtering (analog:A6, digital:e-mu E4), sampling+synthesis (E4), compression (tracking), digital reverb

so overall its 75-25 i guess, but for synthesis it's 100-0

Archived