Best rack or tabletop VA that can be had for under 500.ooUSD?

• Members

So....I was forced to give the MicroKorg back to it's so-called owner after they held me down and pried from my greedy little fingers. :( I'm thinking about getting a MS2000R or something off Ebay. They seem to go for around 300.oo or less. Is there anything "better" in a rack-mount or tabletop VA that can be had new or used for under 500.oo? Thanks.

• Members

If you really, really loved the microkorg, then go with the MS2000r, since they're almost the same synth. If you just really loved working with a VA, then you have a bunch of options, and they're all pretty good. Novation A-Station, Waldorf MicroQ, Roland SH32, etc. There's also a few real analogs in that price range, new. MFB is a good example.

• Members
Originally posted by AgtOrange

If you really, really loved the microkorg, then go with the MS2000r, since they're almost the same synth. If you just really loved working with a VA, then you have a bunch of options, and they're all pretty good. Novation A-Station, Waldorf MicroQ, Roland SH32, etc. There's also a few real analogs in that price range, new. MFB is a good example.

Thanks. Those are some great suggestions and just the type of things I had in mind. I do love the sounds from the MicroKorg, but when it comes to actually spending my own money I like to do a little research. Any experience with the SH-32? That thing goes for a great price used. What about the Dave Smith Evolver?:confused:

• Members

I'm curious about the MFB Synth II and the Neptune II. They seem like cool products. The Micron will be out soon too. I loved the MicroQ when I had one. So I guess I pretty much second Agt Orange's suggestions. Except maybe the A-Station. I like the Bass Station and SuperNova products, but the A-Station and KS series don't do much for me.

• Members

The Evolver is sub-$500? Please don't tell me things like that. I'm trying to save money. :D

I haven't used the SH32. Based on the price ($200 new), I suspect the build quality is on par with the Electribes; pots instead of rotaries, plastic instead of metal, etc. Keep in mind, I'm making assumptions here, so I could be incorrect. Sound is the Roland sound.

Nord Rack 2 would be very nice too. I didn't realize they were that cheap now. Dammit. I need my own oil company to afford all this gear I want.

I'll reiterate, if you really like the Korg sound and interface, the MS2000 is probably the one for you. I do understand wanting to shop around though, and it's hard to go wrong. I haven't met a VA I didn't like.

J3RK, I agree that the SuperNova is vastly superior to the A-Station, but the A-Station is a nice little synth for the cost.

• Members

Originally posted by AgtOrange

The Evolver is sub-$500? Please don't tell me things like that. I'm trying to save money.
:D

There's the table-top mono-Evbolver for 600.oo or less. Then, there's the rack-mount PolyEvolver for I think around 1200.oo or something. I was talkin' bout the little mono one. There's one of the cheap ones on Ebay for 400.ooBIN right now. It's calling your name..............:D

Anyhoo, thanks guys. All great suggestions. I think I'm kind of leaning towards getting both the MS2000r and the SH-32 because I think I could get both for under 500.oo together. I'm still open to other options.......................:)

• Members

sh-32 . i never think of it when we discuss VA. Harsh (cheap) cold sound. and ZIPPER noise when sweeping parameters like filter, resonance etc.

It really escapes me why Roland bothered to make it; maybe to quickly cash-in on VA craze, with an "ultra-affordable VA" - who cares how it sounds when its 200 and has a lot of stylish little faders and knobs. :rolleyes:

yep, check out the nord2, there's lot of demos on clavia, including songs by users.

Archived