nothing sounds quite like an 808

• Members

The TR707 was the first drum machine I ever got my hands on back in 1986... It was far better than the crappy Korg stuff I'd been using, I really digged the XOX interface and the sounds were pretty damn good for 1985...

I had a load of house tunes (such as those on the Streetsounds label with Mr Lee, Marshall Jefferson, Rhythim is Rhythim et al) around that time that were all 707 and possibly 727, in fact I think the heavier TR909 sound in house came a bit later come to think of it..

I get the feeling the 707 is having a bit of a resurgence atm...

• Members

I don't know the whole 606 history claudette, but I just didn't like its' drumsounds. It might share some similarities to the 808, but it didn't sound right to me. It didn't sound very rounded and lacked presence.

• Members

Originally posted by synthetics

thats what outboard gear is for.

give me a 606 and a lexicon or software like ozone 3 and i will give you the big 808 sound
:)
i know what you mean though, its dry sound is a matter of taste.

claudette

Yes, some water is definatly needed for that one IMO.

• Members

I've got an 808 sitting in a box right now. Belongs to a friend of mine. We're going to do a rack conversion with brushed/annodized aluminum blue lights, new knobs and buttons, etc. Same guts though.

I'd really like to do a project like that with a CR-78 though. I'll have to try and find one.

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

I'd really like to do a project like that with a CR-78 though. I'll have to try and find one.

If you like the X0X-interface and the '78 sounds you should give the MFB-502 a look:

- original, but 78ish analog(!) sounds

- X0Xish, easy to use interface

- relatively cheap and you can get it new...

m502.jpg

Demo-mp3:

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/MFB-502/Mfb-502.mp3

The MFB range at Novamusik

http://www.novamusik.com/search.asp?type=Manufacturer&page=1&keyword=41

• Members

I most definitely love my 808. Thanks again Flukewerm! :D

It was a dream come true for me to finally get my hands on one, and I will never let this bad boy go. It definitely does go very far with a bit of processing... Classic sounds... very hard to make it sound like {censored} really... The 606 was a smaller version of the 808, but there's an even smaller one about. the Boss DR-110.

I've got one as well actually. not much syncability at all, but it's great to sample! can't really edit the sounds other than an accent... but it's fully programmable as far as sequencing goes... even easier to use than the 808 is really... well, except for all of the knobs on the 808... :)

and yeah, my ER-1 can do some stuff that my 808 can only dream of, but it still works the other way around too.

Here's a pic of my playing my 808 live.

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

The TR707 was the first drum machine I ever got my hands on back in 1986... It was far better than the crappy Korg stuff I'd been using, I really digged the XOX interface and the sounds were pretty damn good for 1985...

I get the feeling the 707 is having a bit of a resurgence atm...

Back when I was in the Navy(around '86-'87), I knew a guy in the barracks who had a TR707. He did some rappin' and we used to collaborate on some stuff. I remember him letting me borrow it while he went back to NY on leave, had so much fun with it.

Tuck

• Members

Originally posted by TDman

I had a DR-110 when I started, I wish I still did...
:(

I have a DR-110. You want it? Make me an offer. Seriously.

I just don't have anything it can sync up with, and while it does have a nifty little sound, I just don't have a use for it.

So it should go to someone who does. I even have the power supply and manual, in case you've forgotton any of the extremely complex programming procedures;)

• Members

The 606 might be related to the 808 in terms of time, and even some circuitry aspects, and it might even sound more like an 808 than a 909 does, but it hardly captures the 808 sound.

I agree with the statement that the 606 lacks presence overall.

That said, didn

Archived