real time control for Roland JV's?

jen

• Members

I'm considering picking up a Roland JV 1080 or 2080, but I'd like to find out how extensive the capacities for real time control or parameters are. Can you alter parameters by MIDI, or SysEx, and if so, which parameters will respond to MIDI/sysex commands?

Any info from JV users will be much appreciated,

Thx!

• Members

You can alter many of the parameters by MIDI CC. These include cutoff, resonance, attack, decay, Reverb, Chorus, and Tone levels (4). You can also do the regular stuff, like portamento, hold, etc.

I hope you weren't expecting more than this! :D

• Members

I own JV-1080, and although it will respond to some MIDI CC#'s like bank change, modulation, volume, portamento, it will not others (like filter cutoff and resonance) directly. You can still control cutoff and resonance in real time by routing them through the patch's modulation matrix and assigning them to a CC# the 1080 will recognize ( I use CC#11- Expression). I think a 2080 will respond to just about every defined controller directly.

If what you're looking for is a cheap Roland rompler module, I'd add the XV-3080 to your shopping list. They're selling regularly for under $500 on E-Bay these days. It would be my choice over the older Roland JV series and they will accept the JV expansion boards (in my opinion where the best JV waves and sounds reside) ...something an XV-5050 can't do. The 3080 has 128 voice polyphony too.

• Members

hey jen!!

glad you made it. admin finally accepted your e-mail addy? bout time.

git yer' snowflake track uploaded! don't be shy.....the world wants to hear :)

unless, however you are another jen who just happens to play keys and recently registered....then my most sincere apologies...:p

• Members

Originally posted by jen

Hello Zone,

sorry to disappoint but I'm a different jen
:(

ah well!
:)

yeah, i figured that out when it talked to the jen i know yesterday.

i was like "i replied to your first post" and she was like "uggh, i haven't posted yet".

she did register the same day as you, though - freaky:p

Archived