roland jv880...opinions ?

ahpook

• Members

A JV-880 is not a good place to go for killer pianos and organs, but, then again, there aren't any budget modules that great at both these sound categories. Decent pianos and organs are tough to get right at any price, but if you're just dinking around a JV-880 might work...it's best to try it out and see what you think. In my opinion, the least expensive- and just barely acceptable- Roland tone module for these sounds would be a 1010 with a 60's-70's expansion board installed, but you're talking twice the money of an 880, at least.

• Members

I have a JV880. It isn't as great as some of the more expensive modules and the pianos are particularily weak. But, I use mine quite a bit. It is actually a quite capable synthesizer with resonant filters, etc. But it is also great out of the box, just playing the presets. The strings are quite useful and the basses are also great. Nice guitars, synths, bells, but pianos are kinda weak and the organs are othing special. Nice thing is you can add one JV-80 expansion board! I got the piano one and was still a little dissapointed. For piano, I ended up getting a Kurzweil Micropiano, which also has decent organs. Both of these units can be bought for under $175 on ebay these days.

• Members

jv880 for organ and piano. Nay.

in the low budget dept. there are many other choices that have better organ or piano than JV. Those little VOCE gadgets like Micro B - are unmatched for hammond sounds in "ultra-affordable" class. i think they did an EP model as well. Kurzweil did something like MicroPiano if i recall correctly.

anyway, all of them, and i'm sure somebody else could come up with even better suggestions, are much better for organ/piano type thing than a JV880. JV's specialty are stringy/voxy "rolandish" new age sounds..

Archived