V-SYNTH one year later

• Members

Well, I would say the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that I'm always finding new ways to use the synth. Seme features which even I wrote off like the time trip pad and d-beam have become wonderful tools and made me realize that knobs and faders are not necessarily the way to go with everything. Still, after all this time, Variphrase has excellent sound quality compard to everything except meldoyne, which has a different application paradism anyway.

I love using the v-synth with other synths as sound sources. I like to midi up a micromodular or evolver and run them through COSM and the effects, or layer them with a sample in the V. I absolutley love to trigger my SH-101 and have that going through the V on both oscillators, then though two different cosm blocks. LFO's and envelopes abound on this synth, but I find myself using the arpeggiator for modulation of nearly every parameter as well - the arpeggiator is the v-synth secret weapon in my opinion.

The multirimbral implementation is still poor, and I don't think will be addressed. Specifically more me, it eats up polyphony, and you can use only the effects settings for the patch on channel 1. So I decided to change the way I think about the V - multitimbraly. I'll use the sh-101 as an example because it's

also how I make that synth polyphonic.

I'll create a sound on the 101. I'l then sample it into the v and map an octave on the 101 onto an octave on the V and split the keyboard on the v - to reflect this. Everything on the v is dry, i.e. no chorus or master effects. I'll sequence any filter sweeps on the 101 by hand so they are synced to the temp that I shoose to use on the v. I use the lite variphrae encoding algorithm so when I do change tempo the intergrity of the 101 isn't compromised. Right then and there I have a poly 101. But I'l create another patch of a 101 with different sounds. And then I'll trigger them multitimbraliy throught the same effects and voila super thick fat 101 sounds combined with the modulation options of the v.

I do a similar thing with loops, where i'll chop up a loop(s) split the keyboard on many pathces, and then layer them using the same effects. You can even do this with the built in oscillators, but unless you resample it will eat up polyphony.

There is so much to do with the v.

• Members

As a Sample Mangler, UNEQUALED.

As a Virtual Analog, Not a strong as a Nord Lead or Virus.

As a PCM synth, Not as strong as an XV synth.

If you like working with samples and/or want a good controller keyboard than this is for you. Although I'm selling mine due to circumstance, I WILL be getting another at a later time if the one that I have sells. The arpeggiator is the secret weapon.

• Members

The V-Synth is really cool. I like how you can mangle sounds to the extreme.

The V has to have one of the most friendliest user interfaces ever. Importing new sounds is a breeze.

My only niggle:

I wish it was multi timbral and that you could have an arp running in the bottom keys with a pad or lead line in the top.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

As a Sample Mangler, UNEQUALED..............

If you like working with samples and/or want a good controller keyboard than this is for you.

i'm just curious if you've ever worked with a kurzweil k2xxx?

i've got a k2600 and it mangles samples very nicely - makes a damn good controller, too. it really mangles samples, tho - not the time-stretch/formant type stuff.

i've played with a v-synth and 'really' like the interface - almost want to get one just for that.

• Members

Originally posted by Balil

I'll create a sound on the 101. I'l then sample it into the v and map an octave on the 101 onto an octave on the V and split the keyboard on the v - to reflect this. Everything on the v is dry, i.e. no chorus or master effects. I'll sequence any filter sweeps on the 101 by hand so they are synced to the temp that I shoose to use on the v. I use the lite variphrae encoding algorithm so when I do change tempo the intergrity of the 101 isn't compromised. Right then and there I have a poly 101. But I'l create another patch of a 101 with different sounds. And then I'll trigger them multitimbraliy throught the same effects and voila super thick fat 101 sounds combined with the modulation options of the v.

It's always been a mystery to me how peeps come up with those dead-killer sounds! Having read the above, it's a god damn enigma ferrchrissakes.....:)

I'm such a novice at synthesis it's utterly depressing :(

Some people have trouble with physics or chemistry....they just can't get their heads around it. I'm that way with synthesis....sorry for the rant...continue.....

• Members

Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

It's always been a mystery to me how peeps come up with those dead-killer sounds! Having read the above, it's a god damn enigma ferrchrissakes.....
:)
I'm such a novice at synthesis it's utterly depressing
:(

Some people have trouble with physics or chemistry....they just can't get their heads around it. I'm that way with synthesis....sorry for the rant...continue.....

My man, I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from!!!! When I first got into synths I was like WTF??? Just start simply and then persevere. I started about three/four years ago with ABSYNTH - yes a soft synth!!! I didn't really get the manual and had not idea how to wrap my head around the complexity. Also, I noticed that Absynth, for all its glory in incredible, organic textures, lacked the fullness, warmness, thickness, and bass, that I loved in the music I listened too. So after much research, I settled on the SH-101 - one osc, two wave forms, one filter, one envelope, one lfo, no midi, all analog. I learned that bad boy inside and out - including its barebones sequencer. Soon after I bought a Electrix MoFX for 90$ to add delay.

So, the moral to my little story is start SIMPLY and start CHEAP. And also, try to pick some equipment that is used in music you like (in my case it was dub reggae and electro). In the case of the 101, it has the building blocks or fundamentals that helped me to learn, and I think that in everything it's important to understand the fundamentals before trying to do something complex.

So if your feeling frustrated, I would suggest taking a few steps back, pick up something you can get your hands on and have fun as you learn.

Also, for me, a lot of 'technique' kind of came to me after some time - 'eureka!' moments. "So that's what the LFO is good for, or that's how I take advantage of the arpeggiator, or that's what the resonance of the filter sounds like when I apply an ADSR. "

So don't despair!!!! Just remember to have fun. If you're having fun it will seem as if you're learing very fast.

• Members

Originally posted by Balil

My man, I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from!!!! When I first got into synths I was like WTF??? Just start simply and then persevere. I started about three/four years ago with ABSYNTH - yes a soft synth!!! I didn't really get the manual and had not idea how to wrap my head around the complexity. Also, I noticed that Absynth, for all its glory in incredible, organic textures, lacked the fullness, warmness, thickness, and bass, that I loved in the music I listened too. So after much research, I settled on the SH-101 - one osc, two wave forms, one filter, one envelope, one lfo, no midi, all analog. I learned that bad boy inside and out - including its barebones sequencer. Soon after I bought a Electrix MoFX for 90$ to add delay.

So, the moral to my little story is start SIMPLY and start CHEAP. And also, try to pick some equipment that is used in music you like (in my case it was dub reggae and electro). In the case of the 101, it has the building blocks or fundamentals that helped me to learn, and I think that in everything it's important to understand the fundamentals before trying to do something complex.

So if your feeling frustrated, I would suggest taking a few steps back, pick up something you can get your hands on and have fun as you learn.

Also, for me, a lot of 'technique' kind of came to me after some time - 'eureka!' moments. "So that's what the LFO is good for, or that's how I take advantage of the arpeggiator, or that's what the resonance of the filter sounds like when I apply an ADSR. "

So don't despair!!!! Just remember to have fun. If you're having fun it will seem as if you're learing very fast.

While I am very much still in the learning stages of synth programming. I can confer with the above as written by Balil.

My approach to learning synth programming since I have no one to teach me is to understand how things like filters, ADSR, etc affect sounds and then experiment. It will take time but the reward for your patience will be greatly satisfying.

I also try to understand what is happening when I turn a certain knob or slider, this ofcourse gets down in the physics of sound shaping. The real benefit of this is that you will be able to quickly and accurately shape your sounds and be able to create similar patches on different types of synth

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

i'm just curious if you've ever worked with a kurzweil k2xxx?

I worked on a K2600 for a short while as I was tryimg to get to grips with VAST on the synthesis side. I never messed with the sampling so you probably have a point there.

Archived