The Programming/Preset Thread for Live Players

• Members

I've learned so much from my fellow forum members since I returned to playing covers again, just four short months ago. A few months back we had a great discussion going on how to transcribe some classic songs. Since we covered that ground pretty well, I thought now was a good time to create a thread that we could share ideas on how to achieve classic or even usable sounds. The idea is to share ideas on equipment and programming to gain usable sounds live. I've spent alot of time tweaking some stock patches on my Triton LE that would be valuable info to someone who owned that gear and was looking for a particular sound. In addition some synths may have a useable sound for a particular song right out of the box.

For those who want to contribute, you could include the name of the song, the piece of gear you're using and any programming you did to create a usable sound for that song. I'll even make the first contributions.

Song:

Play That Funky Music/ Too Much-Dave Matthews/ Love Rollercoaster-RHCP/The Ohio Players

Type of sound: Horn/organ combo

Gear Used: Triton LE

Programming:

I am the King of starting with a preset, stripping it down, and creating something new.

So I started with an Organ combi (A15 Heavy Organ) stripped out most of the programs leaving just programs B007 Full Drawbar and A039 Distorted Organ in the first two banks.

Then I split the keyboard into two zones, leaving the organs from C1 to C4. I then layered two more stock programs : A085 Talkin Keys & A083 Acid Bass. This give the organs one hell of a phat funky bottom end.

In the second zone C#4 to G9 I grouped brass presets A118 Trombone, A086 Fat Brass & B006 SFZ Brass for a brass section. The Trombones were set at an octave below. By themselves the brass presets on the LE sound hopeless synth... but in the mix they sound deceptively good... especially with a little nudge on the Master EQ (Pull the hi's down) and stagger the presets at different octaves. I've gotten many compliments from fellow musicians regarding how cool the brass sounds coming from the LE. I'm just thankful that my band plays loud, to cover how shrill they sound solo.

I hope this helps someone out there in creating a usable patch for performance. ... I'd love to hear some other experinces you guys have using gear.

Archived