the DIY expression pedal thread

• Members

I have posted not one but TWO previous threads seeking info about an expression pedal for my Roland keyboard, and both sank like a rock. So guess what boys and girls:) -today we are going to talk about EXPRESSION PEDALS! I will NOT be ignored!:mad:

I have discovered that Roland expression pedals are either worthlessly flimsy (EV5) or way overpriced (EV7). This is not my opinion, this is a fact! Yamaha makes a very good expression pedal (FC7) that is solidly built and has a nice long throw, while only being 1/3 the price of the equivalent Roland EV7. But you can't use it with a Roland keyboard.

Unless you make a female to male 1/4" stereo patch cord, cross-wiring the tip and sleeve. Plug it into the expression pedal jack and you won't have to mod the pedal itself. All you need is $5-$8 worth of parts from Radio Shack and a soldering iron. This has saved me from spending money on the POS EV5 and dammit, I'm proud of myself! Much obliged to Matestubbs from the Keyboard Corner (Musicplayer forum). Just wanted to share.

• Members

Yep, good post. I made one of those adapters myself a few months ago. Required to connect the Yamaha pedal you mention (which is superb) to an Electro.

I can alos confirm that the Roland EV5 is junk, with a very unlinear and small travel. Lightweight though, which is a bonus when you chuck it into your gigbag or Electro softcase pouch.

• Members

Hi PFC -- Yea, good idea using the soldering gun (I re-did my sustain (KORG) so I can now plug in a patch chord instead of having it hardwired and broken all the time) I too want an expression pedal but am running in stereo now, and am wondering what my options are -- I believe the (KORG) EXP-2 takes 2 inputs, so it must handle both sides -- Don't you just hate having to take your hands off the keys to adjust volume? -- Peace -- :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by easy1

Hi PFC -- Yea, good idea using the soldering gun (I re-did my sustain (KORG) so I can now plug in a patch chord instead of having it hardwired and broken all the time) I too want an expression pedal but am running in stereo now, and am wondering what my options are -- I believe the (KORG) EXP-2 takes 2 inputs, so it must handle both sides -- Don't you just hate having to take your hands off the keys to adjust volume? -- Peace --
:cool:

easy1, with an expression pedal (as opposed to volume pedal)you don't have to worry about stereo inputs- you just plug into the expression pedal jack and it controls both left and right simultaneously. Hammond clones, for one, respond more realistically to an expression pedal, with changes in distortion and treble instead of just volume itself. I am pretty sure Korg keyboards are compatible with the Yamaha FC7.

I notice that good stereo volume pedals (Ernie Ball, etc) are pretty pricey. I used to use a mono Ernie Ball pedal for keys, and I hated the response. Then one day I used it with a tube amp and it worked great.

There was another post on the Keyboard Corner about plugging a mono Ernie Ball volume pedal in the expression pedal jack with an insert cable or something. Supposedly this changes it to an expression pedal, I dunno- have not tried it myself. If you already have an EB volume pedal it may save you some $$.

• Members

clusterchord, I am really not very technical but I will not let that stop me from making something up:D . It could be the same thing (1/4 stereo female to male, with tip and sleeve crosswired) could work in your case too.

If noone knows on this forum you might try the live sound forum- more "techie" types there. Good luck!

• Members

I know this is a boring, mundane subject but I'll bump anyway.

It seems the Roland Corp. has the last laugh. The Yammie FC7 pedal, with the modded cable, works fine but only if I turn it around- it only works in reverse. Mashing it all the way down while booting up does not rectify this, I guess because the keyboard is an 8-yr old VK7. Even turned around, the pedal has a good action, though.

Cluster, tell me if the mod worked for your situation- PM me if you want.

I have to pack up and head for Memphis (3 hrs away) for a wedding band gig. I might have to get funky. Imagine Trent Lott with a goatee playing keys with a funk/blues band and you get the picture:) .

Archived