recommend me a starter electronics kit

• Members

down the line i might be interested in trying one of the diy kits like from paia or maybe some circuit bending if i feel comfortable with it. as well as just wanting to get a little more familiar with the inside workings of synths and what not.

i think probably the smartest idea would be to buy just some cheap kit to learn the basics, components, circuitry, soldering and what not.

any of you guys ever use anything like this? i remember seeing a post recently where someone said there was like a radio shack kit that actually was a really basic rudimentary synth kit....that might be interesting. but really, anything that teaches the basics would work, i would think.

• Members

Get the Fatman kit from PAiA. I recommend the desktop case for it. Anyone can build it, and it gives you a crash course in basic electronics. There's documentation explaning the signal flow through the components, and how each component helps shape the sound.

I learned a lot from building mine. I got it working for about 5 minutes, then decided to try some mods and immediately fried one of the ICs. :rolleyes: One of these days I'm gonna shell out the 40 cents for a replacement and get it running again.

• Members

hmmm.... that's cool too. and something that i could actually use once it's done.

on further looking, paia's site it says that they package the fatman to be able to built with someone with little or no previous experience.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

OH WOW! those soundbites are pretty nice! this WOULD be a fun project. hrm! only $150. ... . .

almost sounds like a good idea! this may cure my lust for simple analogue monosynth sounds.

that's exactly what i was thinking...

• Members

The FatMan looks like it would be a fun project and something I would enjoy playing around with. I have one dum question though. The fuzz/hiss in the background of those MP3 examples is not coming from the FatMan is it? That has something to do with poor MP3 quality or something else right?

• Members

Originally posted by SumDumGuy

The FatMan looks like it would be a fun project and something I would enjoy playing around with. I have one dum question though. The fuzz/hiss in the background of those MP3 examples is not coming from the FatMan is it? That has something to do with poor MP3 quality or something else right?

Right, that's just poor recording. There are user demos floating around that are way better than the ones on the PAiA site.

Archived