is this virus a good deal?

baldo

• Members

i have an op to buy a virus rack xl for under $800.

this seems like a very good price on a good piece of gear.

i've used the virus kc and really liked the board. the rack has an editor for pc which should enhance the usability.

anyone have experience with the rack?

give me the good and the bad....

thx.

:cool:

• Members

I haven't used it, but the Rack XL has the exact same sound engine as the Virus C/KC. So if you don't mind editing with menus or a PC then there is no difference really. I don't remember what the new price was, but I think it was around $1100, so that doesn't sound too bad to me.

• Members

nectarios & radiospace,

thx for the response. you both seem to prefer the b over the c.

i've used the c and not the b but have been under the impression that the c was a bigger badder b.

did i miss something?

• Members

the pc editor software should allow access to the 'knobs'.

i've heard that the interface has some issues. hopefully most have been resolved.

i agree about the hands on issue. if the software interface proves to be a problem the knob version would be the only option.

thx for the response.

• Members

they discontinued the rack xl this spring because of slow sales.

must be a reason for slw sales and the knob access issue is prob the reason. otherwise, it pax the same punch as the c.

• Members

The Bs don't have the new filter types, so if that's important to you, you still may want a C or the XL. Otherwise, perhaps the classic or used B might be better. Of course if you were going to spend around that range, a Q rack would be way better. (I've never been partial to the oscillators in the Virus.

• Members

thx for the info j3rk.

i've talked w/ the us distribtor for access & the tech people @ access. they both say the soudiver interface is slow to start but a very responsive way to adjust and save sounds on the rack and other models.

the tech guy said that except for the slow start up he & others have preferred the editor over the hands on units.

i like software interfaces. after sodownloading and trying the editor i think the rack would suit my needs.

again, thx for the feedback

• Members

ok. the rack xl is in my hands.

access has great support. so far it is as good as kurzweil; prob better. they also improve their products through updates; not just correct bugs, but improve the platform.

the manual and other resources are pretty impressive. they have a huge amount of new sound sets available online.

this has been a most pleasant experience. thx again for all the good ideas and feedback. .

access and the xl w/soundiver seem to be seamless; realtime response is not a myth.

i'm all set w/a virus c for $750

:D

how lucky can you get...sex, love and gambling aside. k

;):cool:

• Members

Ok, now that the issue has been resolved and I'm technically not hijacking this thread at this point, I'd just like to say that every time I came across the title to your thread I almost peed my pants thinking about all the funny comebacks to that question.

Well, maybe it's not that funny, but it is an odd thing to ask, don't you think?

"Excuse me, do you have any good deals on viruses?"

It all depends on who you ask!:D

Archived