heard the new beastie boys album

• Members

I can't tell yet what i think about it. it definitely didn't grab me right away like hello nasty did.

the beats are decent. seem to take a more minimal approach on a lot of the tracks.

i guess that the beastie's always seem to be able to come up with these monster hooks that keep the song in your head for days and giving this a first listen, the hook just isn't there in a lot of the tracks.

i need to give it a couple more listens. the second half of the album seems to be where the best tracks are IMO.

any one else heard this yet? thoughts?

• Members

no... I heard that they're cd installs "copy protection" software on your computer without your permission.

Very intrusive if you ask me...

Also... the new single is a weak recycle of their old material. Even the video sucks. I guess they're finally getting old and out of touch.

• Members

Originally posted by friendlybunny

Also... the new single is a weak recycle of their old material. Even the video sucks. I guess they're finally getting old and out of touch.

yeah, i did notice a lot of recycled lyrics. they have always done this, but it seems to a much higher degree with this album.

• Members

Originally posted by friendlybunny

no... I heard that they're cd installs "copy protection" software on your computer without your permission.

Very intrusive if you ask me...

Really? Good grief... fricking recording industry. Something like that would make me download an album, just to spite the bastards.

Kiru

• Members

their rhyme syntax borders on unbearable. the emphasized last syllable on every line, rhyme scheme that's almost 100% couplets... as MCs they aint got da flow at all. i heard the new album is politically oriented, but i can't imagine how any serious message they have could really make a difference. you can't say anything deep when your rapping sounds like a 12 year old. they do have some decent beats though.

• Members

Yeah they've really fallen into a single, simple pattern, and their lyrics on HN were just pathetic. Like most artists, they were better when they were a bit raw around the edges. I plan to avoid ever hearing any of their new tracks.

All the albums through Ill Communication are brilliant, but then they got old, found religion, put away their .22's and became family friendly. Oh, and DJ Hurricane owned. If he was still involved, they'd be much better. He would never have allowed the line "I like my sugar with coffee and tea," at the very least.

God I hate Hello Nasty. That album was the biggest disappointment of my music listening life. There have been others (Soundgarden sellingout, Roots Manuva and the rest of Ninja Tune being taken over by shoeshine producers, I could go on) but this one really took the cake, in no small part because so many people seemed to love it despite its sheer awfulness.

• Members

i wasn't really too into anything they did past 'check your head', and even some of the tracks on that are lame. i really lost respect for them when they edited out the limo bong hit in the 'shake your rump' video for their dvd. that and the lack of the 'licensed to ill' videos (probably because they belong to def jam?). maybe there's one or two on there. i think i heard the new track a week or so ago. wasn't impressed, which is pretty depressing as i used to dig them hugely in '86.

on a side note, there's an old b-side by them called 'beastie groove' ('85?) on which they show some very surprisingly good lyric/rhyme skill (even adrock) through maybe half the track. at a few points they sound tight as hell...

• Members

Originally posted by AfroRouge

Yeah they've really fallen into a single, simple pattern, and their lyrics on HN were just pathetic. Like most artists, they were better when they were a bit raw around the edges. I plan to avoid ever hearing any of their new tracks.

All the albums through Ill Communication are brilliant, but then they got old, found religion, put away their .22's and became family friendly. Oh, and DJ Hurricane owned. If he was still involved, they'd be much better. He would never have allowed the line "I like my sugar with coffee and tea," at the very least.

God I hate Hello Nasty. That album was the biggest disappointment of my music listening life. There have been others (Soundgarden sellingout, Roots Manuva and the rest of Ninja Tune being taken over by shoeshine producers, I could go on) but this one really took the cake, in no small part because so many people seemed to love it despite its sheer awfulness.

I agree with this like 100%. My GF bought me the new album recently since I own their first three albums, I was talking nicely about them. she picked up on my liking them, and bought me the album. Now, Some of the beats on the new album are decent. I think I heard a few presets in there here and there, but whatever. If it fits the mood, great. The politics, and lame ass rhymes however moved me not in the least. I think I heard maybe three songs that I thought were decent. talk about depressing.

Archived