Disco Strings in the 70's?

• Members

How did dance and funk groups produce chamber sized strings for disco tunes in the 70's. The Bee Gees, ELO.... I imagine in the studio they were recorded with real chamber players but what about live? Did they use Mellotron, synths or did they have live players recreate the sounds.

• Members

The solina string ensemble was really big with disco bands like T-Connection. Check out their "Magic" LP for some corking disco tunes like "Do What You Wanna Do" which is almost a jazz fusion track.. really heavy conga break too, among the first to have that special section for the DJ to mix two tunes together...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

The solina string ensemble was really big with disco bands like T-Connection. Check out their "Magic" LP for some corking disco tunes like "Do What You Wanna Do" which is almost a jazz fusion track.. really heavy conga break too, among the first to have that special section for the DJ to mix two tunes together...

I love my Solina it has a warmth and sweetness to the string sound and I could enjoy producing chords for hours on end if I had the time. :D

• Members

Yeah, I was trying to stay as much in the '70s as possible (and able to find pictures relatively quickly). Of the additions y'all suggested, I think the Prelude is the only one you couldn't really call a '70s synth. I may be wrong, though.

xxdisco.jpg

Archived