Soft or hardware?

sinew1958

• Members

Originally posted by SirGarrote

there's good times to be soft, and there's good times to be hard. i like being hard more.

-G

you're not that kind of people that rockly-hard shout,ohhh it's not a coventional synth?It's not only the quality of instruments but also talent,inspiration,and with a good computer,plug-ins,sequencer,you come as far as hardware.The listener is not aware wich instrument you have,they like your music,or they didn't.

• Members

Not everything about music is recording it. There's no way in hell I'd ever gig with a computer, either as a sequencer, or to play softsynths. Never. If elements of the performance have to be pre-recorded, use a DAT or CD, whatever. There's ZERO entertainment value in watching someone stare at a screen.

• Members

Originally posted by blue halo

There's ZERO entertainment value in watching someone stare at a screen.

But see, it's very dependent on the target audience. There is A LOT of entertainment value (a huge market for the +/- 20's crowd) in dropping an E and dancing your ass off to some wicked trance. They couldn't give a flyin' V about where the music comes from. Sure, a person behind a laptop is about as entertaining to watch as a DJ, but if that person is enjoying it and crowd is rockin' out, there ain't a problem, is there?

Myself, I prefer "live" gigs, but as a whole, if the music coming out of the laptop is better than that by a live band, I'll choose the laptop.

• Members

No way Im ever going back to hardware. Till last year I was composing with a Triton and Access Virus, today they lie unused. Of course I still use a controller keyboard and midi/audio interface and mic and mixer, but the sounds (except vocals) all come from softsynths.

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

No way Im ever going back to hardware. Till last year I was composing with a Triton and Access Virus, today they lie unused. Of course I still use a controller keyboard and midi/audio interface and mic and mixer, but the sounds (except vocals) all come from softsynths.

Send that Virus this way.

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

WOW! Could you be so kind as to inform me (us) what softsynths u are using to replace the Triton and Virus, respectively?

I've got a Mo and a Virus, and would like to know if there are better software alternatives. I'm sure I could replace the Virus, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING that can match the acoustic sounds in the MO!

• Members

I use software mostly.

I find hardware workstations to have a unique style of sounds. But for nailing accoustic sounds sample libraries in excess of 1 gig rule the day. I suppose if I wanted sounds unique to a Motif the Motif would be thye best choice. Heck, if the Mo ES comes out in a rack I might even grab one.

I use a lot of FM synthesis. You can't imagine how much easier it is programming FM on a PC. I don't miss my FS1r that much.

A lot of the drum machine programming I do gets layered and intricate. I tried using hardware sequencers. I cried myself to bed at night. I much prefer every software sequencer I have tried to any hardware sequencer; I like moving stuff around click and drag and experimenting with arrangements on a screen where I can see it laid out. I plan to expand my 'hands on' rhythm playing by adding drum pads like the roland spd series.

The software analog emulations range from good enough in an abstract way to really impressive modelling of vintage keyboards.

There are a number of modular environments available for pc and mac as well.

I might add a few analog pieces in the future or maybe a Nord Modular g2 for DSP heavy lifting.

Sometimes a piece of gear just has the mojo working and you have to get with it. Who knows where I'll be next year.

Maybe I'll be messing with a rack of Matrix 1000's and MKS 80's, a BIG orchestral library, a g2, a q+, and kyma.(probably not)

• Members

Both.

Going 1/2 software live now, as I don't want to spend 1500 euros for a good Hammond-sound. Equipping a budget laptop with B4 and an external soundcard, controlling it with my midikeyboard.

On top of that I'll install some free VSTi's which nicely await input on another midichannel than 1, so I can switch midichannels on the keyboard without the need of pressing something on the laptop.

So no audience looking at someone only staring at a screen, I'll be switching patches with the keyboard and the laptop tucked nicely away in the back of the stage probably.

Ofcourse I still use hardware as my main synth, wouldn't go software only, ever.

Archived