Funk Soul Brothas... Please lend a hand... "Brickhouse" by the Commodores

• Members

Eric, Gigman, Tuck, .... probabaly 90% of the 'players' on this board could help me play this song. My band at the last minute has decided to set aside "I Wish" (Stevie Wonder) and replace it with "Brickhouse' in a three part medley that also includes "Love Rollercoaster" and "Play That Funky Music". Our speciality are BIG rock songs from artists like Rage Against The Machine, Kid Rock, and Bon Jovi, but this dance/funk section of our set is a big highlight.

I've got the horns down with my right hand. I just need advice for chords, inversion and phrasings for my left hand. Also what's the best sound... Rhodes, ep.... etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Members

For our funk gig, I use a split patch with rhodes on bottom and brass on top. There is a lot going on in that song keyboard-wise, so picking which part(s) you want to play will be interesting.

As far as inversions, the basic rhodes line is something like an Am7 starting with the C on the bottom (II?), going to a D6 and back, so forth and so on.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Jigg pretty much has it right. A nice, authentic-sounding rhodes or any warm ep would be perfect(probably out of your Triton Le?). The chords/phrasings on the rhodes kinda follows the chords on the horn line. Whenever I play this tune, I normally play the Am7, then the D6, then to Am5, so that the A note is accentuated at the end of the phrase.

Just my 0.02

;)

Tuck

Archived