Most unreliable keyboard

• Members

I nominate my beloved Korg Karma. It broke down twice in the first 18 months. Once, it had a bizarre problem one of the middle octaves was transposed an octave higher. The second time all C#'s stopped working. I also had a set of problems on one of the first Wavestations. It kept glitching and glitching. Had to bring it in three times in three months, as I recall.

Most reliable for me has been Roland, though I don't love the Roland sound (and God knows, I have tried!). Yamaha has been quite reliable too.

• Members

I've had my Wavestation for 10 years now, gigged with it for 7 1/2 of those years. Aside from a low lithium battery and a few unplayable keys, it's still in tip-top shape.

I would have to nominate my old Alesis QS8.1. Whenever I would hit the first 20 keys, I would get this awful, metallic sounding noise. Took it to a local repair shop and they couldn't figure it out. Ended up selling it as-is before I got the S80.

• Members

The Memorymoog is notoriously bad about tuning up properly but otherwise they seem to be basically solid. In other words they don't completely die. I have had 4 Memorymoog plus's and a couple of them would tune up all 6 voices pretty regularly. Unfortunately my current one only seems to tune up 5 at the moment.

The most unreliable synths have to be almost all the Ensoniqs except the ESQ. They have really poor build quality. I had a VFX and it would freak out if you put pressure on a spot on the underside, unfortunately setting on a typical stand would cause this :( The ESQ however, seemed to have been built more sturdy than everything after it.

-Sheryl

Archived