Machinedrum or not?

• Members

I've thought about getting a Machinedrum lately. It's supposed to be very programmeable and versatile, so I thought it could be a great addition to my studio along with the TR-909. But all the audio-demos I've heard of it sounds very thin and dry. I like powerful drums al

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

You mean the one on the machine drum site?

unless i'm mistaken, i dont think its from the site. the set is over 30 minutes long.

i just looked at the site but didnt find it. am i just missing it?

-G

• Members

yeah, the 30 min set by valve is an excellent demonstration of the machinedrums potential. I have it on my computer - I'm looking for where you can download it now... found it!

http://www.elektron.se/superparty/audio/valve.mp3

if it wont link directly, just cut off the "/audio/valve.mp3" bit and you can find it at the bottom of the page.

with regards to Arrays queries about the SRR and the distortion. I don't have any examples that demonstrate these effects, but I can tell you that the SRR is prob what you would expect - I can't imagine the end sound would change too much from synth to synth with this effect, and it sounds fine. the distortion however is not so great. it works really well on some sounds, but is extremely thin on others.

but wait! do not despair!! elektron have been working on an OS update for the MD for some time now, and I expect that it should be done some time soon. although they haven't told us exactly what changes are being made, the elektron users group submitted a bug/feature request form to elektron before they began work on the OS update. we believe that a new algorithm for the distortion will be updated, and possibly BDR as well as SRR, but I'm not too sure about the BDR.

so yeah, but anyway, dont let these smaller things discourage you, the md still rocks out in all aspects, and even if you were not entirely satisfied, you can always add extra effects through VST, hardware fx etc.

now... per kristian. the machinedrum sounds have a distinct character, but there is a wide pallette of sounds you can achieve. I can agree the examples on the elektron page can sound a bit thin, but these were all I had heard before buying it myself. assuming you do have the money to purchase it, I would seriously consider going ahead with the machinedrum.

the compressor onboard the MD is great, however it does not respond exactly like most compressors, because it is tailored for use with the MD, and you CAN get sound very powerful sounds out of it, it all depends on how you program them.

anyway, Ive said WAY too much, i gtg.

- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

I might be a littly testy, or just plain nuts. but you shouldnt buy the machinedrum. Isnt it
basically
a 909 emulator on crack?

what other gear do you have? Get an ion and a sherman filterbank2 instead
:)

resounding "?"!!!!!!!!!

man. A 909 on crack? that's just part of it... listen to that Valve demo. It is amazing. I was amazed that that is "just" 2 machinedrums. wow. It got me saving too. There's FM, Analog synthlike sounds, real drums, 909 like, 808 like.... from what I can hear, it can be as fat or as thin as you want it.

• Members

Thanks for all the great replies! Judging be the specs it seems to be a perfect choice for me, love the "64 user sets" feature. But I wonder if the MachineDrum has induvidual equalizing for all the sounds or does the equalizer modify all the sounds at once? The thing is that when I use the TR-909 I have to equalize most of the sounds (basskick, snare and high-hat usually) and I use different settings for different projects. Having all those settings saved in presets would be great.

Thanks for the Valve link! Downloading now:)

• Members

Originally posted by Per Kristian

Thanks for all the great replies! Judging be the specs it seems to be a perfect choice for me, love the "64 user sets" feature. But I wonder if the MachineDrum has induvidual equalizing for all the sounds or does the equalizer modify all the sounds at once? The thing is that when I use the TR-909 I have to equalize most of the sounds (basskick, snare and high-hat usually) and I use different settings for different projects. Having all those settings saved in presets would be great.

Thanks for the Valve link! Downloading now:)

There is individual EQ for each part. The EQ is simple with a settings for frequency and gain boost/reduction. Some instruments feature their own particular EQ or high-pass filter settings. All instruments have their own filter with frequency, width, and resonance. The master EQ is excellent when using the Machinedrum without a mixer (just the stereo outs) and each kit can have it's own settings...

Per Kristian, you are certainly right with regards to EQ'ing your drum sounds. It is so important... and the Machinedrum is no exception. To get that perfect kick, hat, snare or otherwise, it is a careful balance between all the parts in the kit.

The Machinedrum is not designed to be a 'replacement' to Roland TR products. Elektron products are in their own domain and have their own sound. Not only that, but no two Machinedrum users will sound alike... this is not a preset box. But if you like the 909... you will love what sound you'll get with both!

• Members

god damn. I knew that would piss everyone off.

well it wouldnt have 'pissed everyone off' if there were any truth to your statement. thats all.

i mean if you called an xbase a 909 on crack you would have been significantly more correct.

• Members

I might be a littly testy, or just plain nuts. but you shouldnt buy the machinedrum. Isnt it
basically
a 909 emulator on crack?

what other gear do you have? Get an ion and a sherman filterbank2 instead
:)

I think it's really more like a 909 with a doctorate in computer sciences, drunk on a 1/5th of workohol.

Seriously, the two aren't very comparable at all. The only similarities are that they both have a grid sequencer (although the MD's is far more advanced), and one of the MD's four synthesis engines is sort of like the 909's sounds (but only kind of). The MD has three other synthesis engines utilyzing PCM, physical modelling, and FM, the sequencer is just insane (check out the parameter locks), and I could go on for quite a while. But I won't, because you can just downloadl the manual and educate yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

well it wouldnt have 'pissed everyone off' if there were any truth to your statement.

sorry sir, but I thought when people read "Isnt it basically a 909 emulator on crack?" they would have known I was not at all certain and that the statement reeked of uncertainty.

anyways, I had sex with your mother/wife/girlfriend last night. If im making people agry, might as well run with it ;)

• Members

To all machinedrum owners:

I too have been saving. But what I want to know is, what's the MD like in actual practice. Is it easy to use live? What's it like to add in another drum, or tweak a sound, or add effects? I'd love to hear a little firsthand use kind of stuff.

Thanks,

-Robert

Archived