Cover experts: I feel like a dork for asking this.... help w/ Bon Jovi tune.

• Members

I'm sure Bon Jovi isn't at the top of most keyboardist's "Challenging Lists" however when you're a guitarist playing keys in a working cover band, even the simple songs can kill you.

My band is interested in doing a 3 song Bon Jovi Medley with Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, and Runaway. The first and third songs I'm fine with, but I am having a problem, finding, programing sounds for "You Give Love A Bad Name". Our band is very tight and everyone strives to acheive a near "Tribute-quality" to every song we cover.... and we usually deliver it. The challenge is finding or creating multipatches that have the same full production that they had on the album and in concert. I'm using a Roland XP30 and a TritonLE. The XP30 has one sound I may use (SFX Bank D-20 Snowdrop) for the Portamento effect right before the verse. However the mix of strings, synth, bells and organ are really throwing me off in the verse, bridge and chorus.

Anyone play this song or have any suggestions of what sounds to use to fill up those sections? I would be grateful for any input.

• Members

I'm doing the same song, and have been having the exact same problems finding adequate patches to simulate it.

If you are interested in hearing what I came up with for that part you're talking about, send me a PM and I'll send you a clip of it. I'm using an XV-5080 so I'm not too sure you'll have the same patches or not.

Funny coincidence, that song had me pulling my hair out all last week. :confused:

Archived