Yamaha SA-17 Hollowbody Bass - Uber Rare Super Cool 60's Short Scale

hollowbodybass

• Members

When's the last time you saw one of these? I'm guessing never. This is the only one I've ever seen and I could resist picking it up. But a few recent events have reminded me that life isn't about hoarding guitars. So, as much as it pains me, I'm cutting loose my beloved Yamaha SA-17 Hollowbody Bass.

I've talked about this bass on my site/blog: http://www.hollowbodybass.com/brandons-basses/yamahas-guitar-guru-is-all-knowing.htm. It is an extremely rare bass version of the SA-15 guitar model, produced from 1968 to 1972. The guitar version does show up with relative frequency, but not the bass. Also, many people are familiar with Yamaha's answer to the EB-2 - their SA-70 and SA-75 models - but are unaware of this gem. I have a suspicion that these basses were made only for the domestic Japanese market, as the Yamaha product literature from that time period doesn't mention the instrument.

This short-scale bass plays well and has a nice neck profile. The flats on it that could be original, for all I know. Electronics are sound but the pots could use some contact cleaner (they're a little scratchy when being turned - no noise otherwise). Very little wear for a 35+ year old instrument. Very little fretwear. Major wear/dings (if you can call them 'major') are shown in the pictures. Unfortunately no case, but I do have a loose fitting gig bag that I will throw in to keep it safe from scuffs & scratches.

Price is firm at $700.

sa1s.jpgsa2s.jpgsa3s.jpgsa4s.jpg

I also have this bass listed on my local Craigslist. Click here to view many more images.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived