is it wise?

sinew1958

• Members

That depends on how useful the V-Synth is to YOU.

I sold mine after having it for a year. It IS a great piece of kit and I do support Roland products, but I just didn't have fun with it.

Music making, in my opinion, should be enjoyable as I use my hobby to counterbalance the daily crap of the USAF.

The....

Fantom X6

Nord Lead 2X

Nord Modular G2

D-Sation

and Legacy Collection (particularly the PolySix)

has gotten me fired up and putting together my own material again. Just find what works best for YOU. Hopefully, unlike myself, It won't cost too much. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

That depends on how useful the V-Synth is to YOU.

I sold mine after having it for a year. It IS a great piece of kit and I do support Roland products, but I just didn't have fun with it.

Music making, in my opinion, should be enjoyable as I use my hobby to counterbalance the daily crap of the USAF.

The....

Fantom X6

Nord Lead 2X

Nord Modular G2

D-Sation

and Legacy Collection (particularly the PolySix)

has gotten me fired up and putting together my own material again. Just find what works best for YOU. Hopefully, unlike myself, It won't cost too much.
;)

Funny, the V-Synth looks great fun to me. Only had a chance to go on one for 5 minutes though. What didn't you enjoy about it?

• Members

Originally posted by Mookus

Funny, the V-Synth looks great fun to me. Only had a chance to go on one for 5 minutes though. What didn't you enjoy about it?

Generally, it had this tone. A tone that no matter what I did, it always had. And I didn't like that tone. Funny how I had a JP8000 and I sold it for the same reason.

The 24bit converters on the Lead 2X sound a lot better than those on the V-Synth. To my ears, the V-Synth still had the overall tone of a JV2080 despite the specs.

I don't know. I just don't seem to mesh well with Roland VA's. I thought the V-Synth would be different since you can load samples into it, but it still had THAT tone.

I played with it's possibilities a lot but never put it to tracks. I'm kinda that way with the Virus C right now. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not finding it appealing.

• Members

I wouldn't do that trade; whatever the G5 is there will be another better one in a few months or year. The V-Synth on the other hand is a great synth. I've had one over a year. Initially I too was put off by it, somewhat disappointed in the sound, but when I went back to it and started using the features on my own sounds I realized what a powerful machine it is and a great controller too.

There is an OS update available on Roland site, V1.5. Try that first- new sounds, features, and full Mac OSX compatibility. An impressive upgrade really.

• Members

No, I don't think it's wise. Why is it always the G5? There are economical options out there are that very competitive. Besides, soft synths aren't cheap. While some can be had for $40-60, the better ones cost hundreds of dollars. So unless you plan on pirating soft synths, you should factor that into your trade, as well. And after all is said and done, your G5 w/ good soft synths and absolutely no interface will cost more than the V-Synth.

• Members

Originally posted by Mookus

Just sold my Virus B cos I found it never sat well in a mix with my other stuff. Always sounded behind everything - which admittedly can be good sometimes!

(OT) Perhaps. All I know is that between the Virus C and the G2 Engine, the G2 gets the time and the tracks. I made what I thought the Roland Juno 106 should have been in the G2 and I'm getting a lot of use out of it. A simple synth makeup thats a spin off of the learning one in the manual and provides 16 voices.

You can just make what you want in a synth. Fun, educational, and productive, but again, different strokes for different folks.

I've been thinking about dumping the Virus and adding another monitor and a Command 8 to my setup.

(ON Topic) Again, the V-Synth IS a great tool, it just wasn't great for me but I had to find that out for myself. ;)

Archived