what are some good college audition pieces for trombone?

• Members

Any of the etudes out of the Rouchet, Bordogni, Kopprasch, or any other book (one legato one technical) played with musicality would be excellent for an undergrad audition at most any school . If it were me I'd pick etudes from the middle to the back half of the books and in a non-standard key. In all reality the studio teachers don't really care what you play so long as you play it well and play it musically.

Also, don't forget your scales. You should be prepared with all 12 major scales and as many of the minor scales as you can, all 36 if you can get them worked up, 2 octaves if its within your range.

• Members

i don't want to play what everyone else is playing though.

Many schools WANT you to play what everyone else is playing.

For trumpet auditions at Northwestern for Charles Geyer and Barbara Butler (their students now make up half the NY Phil section), they want to hear the same solo (Enesco "Legend"), the same etude (Charlier #2) and the same excerpt (Stravinsky "Petruchka" Ballerina's Dance) from everyone. No substitutions.

Julliard is very broad: 2 contrasting etudes, 1 major solo work, and standard orchestral excerpts.

I'd suggest going to the websites for the most well known college music programs, regardless of whether the school is within reach or not. You'll find all the audition requirements, and from those lists you should be able to find something suitable but slightly off the beaten path.

Archived