Best 61-note midi controller for playing VSTi's: M-audio, Evolution, Roland,..?

Dance123

• Members

Hi,

I am looking for a good 61-note midi controller for playing VSTi's (later on perhaps also hardware synths), preferably at a good price. Can anyone tell me which ones are recommended and which ones have certain problems/drawbacks compared to other models cause they all look so similar. Hard to know which one I should choose so hopefully you guys can give me some good advise!

The ones that seem interesting to me are those from M-Audio, like the Radium 61 or the newer Keystation 61es, however how come that there is so much hype around the Keystation 61es that seems to have less sliders and stuff compared to the Radium 61?! Isn't this a step backwards or am I missing something?!

Also, the Evolution MK-461C seems like an intersting one with also lots of sliders etc.. and there is ofcourse Roland with its PCR-80 but perhaps that one is more expensive and it seems to take a bit more space then the M-Audio or Evolution keyboards. Don't the big brands have more interesting models at a good price? Any other models I should consider?!

So which one should I choose, especially with using it for VSTi's in minds and perhaps also mixing in Cubase SX. Perhaps the software that comes with it also makes a difference? The Keystation 61es seems to be popular, but don't the other ones have more to offer (more sliders and stuff)?! Strange that none of them seem to have keyboard splits where the left and right part can send on a different midi channel, but perhaps you don't need that with VSTi's?!

I really don't know which one to choose so all good advise is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Mike.

• Members

yes, agreed Radium action is absolute crap....why in god's name could maudio not put the keystation61 action w.the radium interface......so they do have the r&d capability to have a quality build....then again the keystation88 pro action is also absolute CRAP unusable in any professional application......

i hate to bitch w/o giving a viable alternative, but......what gives, mAudio??????

• Members

I've got the Evolution MK-461C. It's a good controller. I use it to control the synth stuff on my VR-760. Works really well with B4 and FM7.

Try the keyboard action before you buy it to make sure it's what you want.

Archived