just lost 2 months worth of work....

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

Ouch!

what ROM was it?

It was the XL-7 ROM that I bought from the soundfont.com sale.

Installation went off without a hitch, but pretty quickly after installation sunday night I started to notice some random weirdness. like it was recording automation to the wrong midi channel. like i would do a volume fade for channel 6, but upon playback the volume fade would show up on channel 2. it didn't happen everytime, but still quite often.

last night was the first chance i've had to play around on it since i installed it and i noticed the automation problem again. i saved several times without incident, but the last time i hit save, the px-7 froze up. After 5 or 10 minutes, i mannually shut off the machine.

i turned it back on and got some error message and all the user patterns, factory patterns, and user presets were gone.

i'm going to open up the machine tonight and see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

but yeah, if any of you have been procrastinating about your backups...........

• Members

You can get the factory stuff back with no problem; just download it. However, the ROM itself may not be the culprit. Sounds like an OS situation to me. I would start by taking out the XL ROM and seeing how the machine functions. If all is going well then reinstall it, making sure it is seated correctly and firmly after cleaning off the contacts with a soft lint-free cloth.

Unfortunately the USB implementation on all of this series (Command Stations) is somewhat limited but you can back up pattern-sequencer stuff. If you're not using another editor do a periodic midi dump of the machine contents whenever things have changed.

• Members

Originally posted by cybermooks

You can get the factory stuff back with no problem; just download it. However, the ROM itself may not be the culprit. Sounds like an OS situation to me. I would start by taking out the XL ROM and seeing how the machine functions. If all is going well then reinstall it, making sure it is seated correctly and firmly after cleaning off the contacts with a soft lint-free cloth.

Unfortunately the USB implementation on all of this series (Command Stations) is somewhat limited but you can back up pattern-sequencer stuff. If you're not using another editor do a periodic midi dump of the machine contents whenever things have changed.

Yeah, it would seem it would be something OS-ish, but i've had my command station for two months with no prior "weirdness".

It started pretty much immediately after installing the new ROM. My prior installation of the Vintage ROM went smoothly.

yeah, i think i'll be downloading e-loader tonight.

and of course, i just happened to be working on the project i've been most excited about in a long time:rolleyes:

• Members

A word about the diagnostic mode:

It has a function that lets you "run all tests". The unit will fail this unless you have a MIDI cable set from output A to the MIDI in as it uses this to do a MIDI port test.

I dunno if this is in the manual, but being semi obsessive I found this info on the web somewhere, probably the Yahoo group.

• Members

A word about the diagnostic mode:

It has a function that lets you "run all tests". The unit will fail this unless you have a MIDI cable set from output A to the MIDI in as it uses this to do a MIDI port test.

I dunno if this is in the manual, but being semi obsessive I found this info on the web somewhere, probably the Yahoo group.

cool, thanks again man. will keep that in mind.

i'm at work right now, but i just downloaded the manual to look up diagnostic mode and it's only mentioned once briefly as just a hidden function.

• Members

I added the XL rom to my command station without incident.

But which version?

XL-1

XL-V2

XL-7

I cannot remember if it was Emu or someone in particular that stated the XL-7 ROM was built specifically for it's home station and people who installed that ROM experienced OS issues...

• Members

To clear up the confusion on models the XL was in the Xtreme Lead rack module. I also have it as an extra in my Audity. Then it was the basic board in the XL 7 Command Station. He has a PX 7 which is the percussion board model, and the other is the MP 7 which has the Mo Phatt board which was originally in the Mo Phatt module. The Proteus 2500 comes with the pop board.

There shouldn't be a problem switching boards unless it is perhaps a very early one which would only have been in a rack module, and unlkely to be circulating.

Other than OS the only other possibility would be the way the board was seated.

• Members

the rom I got was a "replacement ROM for the XL7" that the emu rep said was "laying around". Paid 59.00 for it.

yeah, this is the same one i got. it just came in the static bag - no packaging.

i just ran all the diagnostics and all the tests passed.

i e-mailed tech suport and the guy told me to reinitialize the data....which i didn't quite understand, cause that's kind of what the px-7 did on it's own already.....:confused:

i still need to open up the case, but i've had a couple beers and don't want to mess around with it tonight.

Archived