'82 Ibanez Blazer neck

TimBosby

• Members

This is the neck of an '82 Ibanez Blazer Japanese P-style bass. It came with the body I have for sale in another thread. It's a nice neck, solid maple, in good shape, with just enough wear to make it look cool. When I got it, it was heavily glossed with vintage-tinted lacquer that I didn't care for. I sanded that lacquer off the back of the neck, as well as the frets and headstock. Then I went over it with clear nitro lacquer. I smoothed the neck back down considerably with a green Scotch-Brite pad so that there is just enough lacquer to seal the raw wood, but it feels very smooth and fast. There is a little ghost residual from the vintage-tint yellowish lacquer which gives it a bit of a tint, without being overwhelmingly yellow and glossy.

Obviously the neck is used, and has some wear and tear but overall it's in pretty fine shape. The only real noteworthy thing is the "bite" at the fretboard edge of the 18th fret on the "G" side. It was a lot more noticeable previously, but I sanded it as smooth as I could get it, and used a fret file on the fret that overhangs that section. You can still feel it, but it's not sharp. There is a minor scuff/mark of some sort on the neck back (see pics.) There is some leftover vintage tint lacquer at the heel - since it'll be covered up by the bass body, I didn't bother to take it all off.

It seems these Ibanez necks are ever-so-slightly narrower than a comparable Fender neck. I measured the nut at about 4 cm, the 12th fret at about 5.5 cm, and the heel at about 6 cm.

Included with this neck are the original chrome heart-shaped Ibanez tuners, as well as the original neck plate and screws. The other parts (pickups, bridge, etc) are being sold with the body in the other thread.

$95 shipped for the neck, tuners, and neck plate/screws. Lower 48 preferred. Money order and Paypal are fine.

Some pics below. All pics here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived