FS: Mid-80s Modulus BassStar - Fender-style headstock - P/J pickups - RARE!

TimBosby

• Members

For sale is a mid-80s Modulus BassStar that I recently purchased. The bass is all black, right down to the hardware. The body has chips, dings, and mojo, but the neck is in excellent shape.

I've read nothing but good things about these basses, but I'm not a huge fan of black basses or EMGs, so my plan was to:

1) Have Pat Wilkins refinish it

2) Replace the hardware with chrome

3) Replace the pickups with Duncans as I'm not an EMG guy

4) Add a pickguard

5) Add a preamp

When I began to add up the costs, I realized it would be at least an extra $500-$700 and that I probably shouldn't spend this much on a project bass. So I'm putting it back up for sale as I have other things I would like to buy instead.

Features:

-"Thousand Ladies Dancing" patterned neck - no truss rod. Nut appears to be graphite and is 1 5/8". Has the coveted Fender-style "lawsuit" headstock

-Weight: 9 lbs 8oz

-Black tuners by "Stars Guitars" (tuners appear to be the same as Schaller model M4S as near as I can figure)

-Ebony fretboard (I was told ebony but it could be phenolic/composite) w/ abalone dot inlays and brass side dots

-Black Stars Guitars bridge w/ Fender-style 5-hole pattern

-EMG P/J active pickups powered by a 9V battery but no preamp. Older EMGs like these are supposedly a little warmer than modern ones.

-Black industrial style Raytheon knobs

-TKL gigbag

IMPORTANT - please read:

There is no truss rod, and the neck has a pre-set relief curve, so ultra-low action will not be possible without a fret and/or fingerboard level. Previous owners described the action as "medium-low." Since I like super-low action, others' "medium-low" would probably equate to my "medium." Although, after some rough measurements, it's only a millimeter or two higher than my Fender Jazz, which I can play comfortably for hours. If you wish to lower it a hair, I would recommend a neck shim or lighter strings.

This is a pretty rare bass, particularly the P/J configuration. Modulus Jazzes, Quantums, Fleas/Funk Unlimiteds are fairly common, and fairly expensive (usually $1500-$2200 in the used market and $2200-$4000 new.) There is another 80s BassStar on Craigslist for $1200. I am losing money here but I need to get rid of this baby quickly so I can buy some other stuff.

I will take $725 shipped lower 48 USA. Will CONSIDER shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, or other countries but you will pay actual shipping. No trades unless you have an all-birdseye (fretboard and neck) Peavey Millennium (prefer 4 string) (worth $500-$600), similar ridiculously-figured birdseye maple neck+fingerboard bass, or a Seymour Duncan Antiquity-II Jazz NECK Pickup (worth $80-$90.)

The bass is at Pat Wilkins's shop in Van Nuys, CA, right now and he is out of town until May 19. The bass will not be available to be shipped until May 19 or 20. Or, if you want to have it re-finished, it's already with the best in the business, and I'm sure Pat would accommodate you.

I prefer E-MAIL but you may PM me if that is how you wish to get in touch.

Photos that the last seller took:

102_3737.jpg

102_3741.jpg

102_3745.jpg

102_3742.jpg

102_3739.jpg

102_3736.jpg

102_3744.jpg

102_3743.jpg

• Members

Some more pics in the light of day (again, from the previous seller):

Some nice mojo but nothing awful:

102_3825.jpg

102_3823.jpg

102_3821.jpg

102_3820.jpg

These are not scratches on the neck - just the light playing off the strands of carbon:

102_3819.jpg

102_3818.jpg

Tuners to me look exactly like the Schaller M4S model in case you wanted to replace them with a different color.

102_3817.jpg

Horn mojo:

102_3816.jpg

Brass side dots:

102_3814.jpg

Old-school EMG P/J pickups:

102_3813.jpg

Archived