FS/FT: SUPER-RARE G&L SB-2 in black swirl "bowling ball" (GandL SB2)

TimBosby

• Members

Ever wanted to play bass and go bowling at the same time? Well now you can! :D

OK, uhh... not really.....

Here we have a mid 90s (I believe 1995) 3-bolt G&L SB-2 featuring MFD "P" and "J" pickups. The color is of the elusive "swirl" (also described as "marble" or "bowling ball") variety. In this case - black with silver swirling. It's pretty awesome looking, especially under lights. The pickguard is a mirror pickguard that is not original (I do not have the original pickguard.)

I recently purchased this rare beauty but have since decided that I have enough P/J basses and really just want a straight "P." For that reason, I would prefer a G&L SB-1, or possibly some other "P" variety bass (maybe a G&L LB-100 "Legacy" bass or possibly a Lakland or Fender.)

The bass is in very good condition for its age. A few minor things - some tiny dings in the finish where you can see just the smallest (pin-prick size) amount of wood. The mirror pickguard has some scratches. One of the knobs rotates a little looser than the other. The chrome is in good shape with only a slight bit of "cloudiness" - still better than my L2000 which is from the same era. The control cavity was widened (see pictures) and could easily accommodate a preamp. The widened area is completely covered by the pickguard. If you don't like the mirror pickguard, Chandler (Pickguard Heaven) makes amazing pickguards and it looks like they can do an SB-2 pickguard in the $50-range.

Not sure of the weight (I can check if anyone's interested) but I will say it is VERY light. I was really surprised when I picked it up at how lightweight it is. The neck is very thin and comfortable like a Fender Jazz. I measured the nut at 1.5." The fingerboard is dark, tightly grained rosewood. Mother of pearl dot inlays. The frets appear to be in good shape.

It comes with the original G&L hardcase which is a bit scuffed but fully functional.

I will take $825 + shipping - lower 48 only at this time. Will CONSIDER shipping elsewhere as long as 1) I don't have to disassemble the bass and 2) you pay actual shipping.

Trades considered for P-style U.S. or Japanese-made basses. Prefer trades that include a little cash on your end. A G&L SB-1 would top my list but I'm no longer limiting myself to the "bowling ball" finish. I would consider an LB-100 or a Lakland (A Duck Dunn would be great) or even Fender. Prefer maple fretboards.

PM or e-mail me if interested.

Pictures below.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

Archived