FS: 1979 Pre-EB Music Man Sabre (Natural / Maple FB) (100% Original) $2,225

jazzyitalian

• Members

I acquired this last month from someone in an exchange for one of the custom basses I build. I acquired this Sabre with the intention of adding it to my Sabre guitar and bass collection.

But our little Dachshund recently went under the knife for a serious life saving operation, and now I must pay for a very expensive Vet bill. 

This is a 1979 Music Man Sabre Bass. It's unique in that the neck is 1.5 inches at the nut and the total weight comes in just under 9 pounds. For a short period, Music Man made a run of Sabres with that more narrow width and a lighter weight. So this a rarer instrument in the group of Sabres, and given the limited production of this particular type of Sabre, it's certainly thought of as the icing on the cake by many affictionados. 

The bass is gorgeous and has the best of both worlds. It has been carefully played and well cared for over the years. The nature of it's previous home in the Northwest US, has allowed ther bass to aged beautifully. The previous owner is a recording artist that played and owned several instruments including horns, violins, drums and keys. He used this bass in some of his recordings and occasionally played it live in other events.

There is a beautiful Patina happening. The hardware is clean with no rust or corrosion. It has that really cool vintage mat finish on the tuning keys. The finish on the natural wood body is crystal clear with no clouding. with some vintage  checking through out the finish. 

All Parts are original and in working condition. The frets are impeccable I would put a 10% wear on them. 

There are a few nicks in the finish only as should be expected, and the poly coat has some small wearing in all the right places. What I mean by all the right places is that it's seen in spots, but no where near where you put your hands.  

I just did a set up and calibration for intonation. There is ample room in the truss rod and there was no fret crowning needed! All if the electronics look great. I inspected the inside and did a light vacum. I removed the neck to inspect the date stampings. 

The bass will look the mojo vintage part on stage and play even better.

The Case is also original. It's in excellent condition given it's age. No rust, no breaks. All latches work as they should and the inside red micro-fibre material is clean and looks hardly worn. 

I'm attaching a link of the photos to my photobucket page below and I will likly post more photos shortly:

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/jazzyitalian/1979%20Natural%20Music%20Man%20Sabre/

The asking price of $2,225 includes the case, insured shipping for the full price to anywhere in the continental US. (Local buyers can pick up this bass and will get a $50 discount on the price.)

Finally, in addition to the original black pickguard that dones this bass, I will throw in a White Pearloid Pickguard. This was custom made by none other than John Polk himself at Terrapin Guitars. John has a Sabre Bass Pickguard template that is dead on perfect to the original. So y'all will get the extra coolio white pearl pickguard in addition to the original black guard! 

Please no trade offers. I have everything I need, and what I do need is to pay the Vet bill.

Interested persons can email me at: jnherman@embarqmail.com

Thanks!

Archived