It's like finding money in an old jacket....

• Members

Up until yesterday I really haven't paid really close attention to to my new XP 30. I pretty much use it just for gigs and outside of a few piano patches, it sits on the bottom tier of my Ultimate stand. It was a demo model and I bought it back in April for $600 from a local store. In the first week I ran through most of the patches and just set it aside to gig with.

Then yesterday I found a used Vintage synth card in the same store for $90 and snatched it up. Excited I ran home to install it, and when I opened the expansion board cover was surprised to find, I had no room. Knowing the XP 30 is the sames sounds as the JV1080 with the Session, Orchestral and Techno boards included I thought it was a cruel joke... maybe a design flaw. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that the synth had two xtra cards installed-SRJV8016 Orchestral II and SRJV8015 Special FX Collection.

I had no idea they were even installed. It makes me feel a bit better about my purchase knowing I got the synth w/ two xtra cards in it. Somehow I don't think the store knew they were even there (I doubt they would have sold it to me for $600).

If anyone is interested I now have a recently found SRJV8016 Orchestral II for sale for $75. No box or paperwork. ;)

• Members

nice.

i have a similar story:

i was at ikea last week getting furniture for the new place and was running out of room ln the cart..so i put 2 lamps i was buying (in boxes) into the drawers of a nightstand i was buying (as is-floor model, a deal by itself) to have more room on the cart.

an hour later, when we checked out (never go to ikea with more than 1 woman who is redecorating), i forgot to mention it.

2 free lamps!!

• Members

Originally posted by the_resonator

nice.

i have a similar story:

i was at ikea last week getting furniture for the new place and was running out of room ln the cart..so i put 2 lamps i was buying (in boxes) into the drawers of a nightstand i was buying (as is-floor model, a deal by itself) to have more room on the cart.

an hour later, when we checked out (never go to ikea with more than 1 woman who is redecorating), i forgot to mention it.

2 free lamps!!

awww you stole! congratulations...I almost did the same thing with a 20lb bag of dog food...I caught myself though.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Wow, that's a steal... so um, shouldn't those 5 yellow-orange lights on the left glow up if you have 2 cards installed?

I didn't even get a manual, so I never paid attention to the lights on the side. If I needed to pull up a sound I would just search by category, not by the bank or card.

• Members

When i got my D-50 i had to push the store owner to do the deal since i was scraping together a lot of trades +some money to afford it. It took me an hour to talk him into it and i think he did the deal mainly to get me out of the store. When i went back later and let him know there happened to be a Musitronics expansion board in it, you could see him flush with anger at being taken on a deal. Havent been back to that shop since then as i doubt he'd cut me any more favors ;)

I still remember the first day i saw that keyboard sitting there... I had no idea what a D-50 was, but i had already turned into a Roland nut... So i hit the UGA campus library (no home internet in those days) and did a little research... and became obsessed with it so bad i had to let a bunch of my stuff go- which is something i dont normally do. One thing that drove my obsession was all the cool patches that had been loaded into the expanded banks... I had been looking at the JP-8080, the Virus, nord lead and the Q as my first choices, but the D-50 just seemed to make sounds that went beyond all those boards.

Hmnnn, guess i still feel the same way about it.

Archived