Lexicon reverb in Sonar 3 vs hardware lexicons?

Trillian

• Members

Is anyone here using Sonar 3 with the Lexicon reverb plugins that come with it? If so, what I want to know is how do they sound compared with the hardware such as the LXP-1 etc.

I used to really like some of the big dense Lexicon room sounds and no reverb plugin I currently have can get that sound.

I recently read that Sonar 3 has a special edition Lexicon reverb that comes with it (yeah I know this is old news but I've been a bit of a hermit for a while regarding stuff like that).

I have Sonar 2 something but I'd get 3 just for the reverb if it is like the old hardware versions.

-Sheryl

• Members

i can't remember off the top of my head specifically which one, but it's actually modelled after a lexicon hardware unit and according to people on the Sonar forums, it does a pretty good job of it.

i've never done an a/b comparison personally, but i can offer my impressions of the pantheon.

Truthfully at first i didn't like it. A lot of people seemed this way.

It's got a very cold sound to it out of the box. After some playing around though, you start to notice how clean and crisp it sounds. Not muddy at all.

I don't think the presets do it justice. i've been able to come up with some of my own that i just love. i find it works best on snappy percussive sounds. i use it on snares and highhats a lot. really gives them a lot of presence.

and then you also get the ultrafunk reverb with Sonar3 PE, which is a tad warmer. Between the two and occasionally SIR, it's about all i use these days.

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

It sucks ass. It's nothing like hardware. Any setting with a long tail sounds like ass, the Sonitus reverb included with Sonar blows the Lexicon away.

this is just your opinion. it is superb. it's a fact.:D;)

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

lol.
:D

The fact is that convolution reverbs are the best software verbs out there. Want a Lexicon? Just sample the impulse.

It's very true...the only problem is finding those great impulses, you have to sift through a lot of lame ones. I seriously think there could be a market for good, thorough, professionally recorded impulses.

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

Well, considering that some of the rackmount reverbs out there can cost thousands of dollars, you can't possibly expect a plug in for a $400 software package to sound as good.

I rarely use it and when I do it's layered with delays or with the impulse response reverb 'Pristine Space' by Voxengo.

It doesn't sound as good as Lexi's current budget models afaik.

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

Well, considering that some of the rackmount reverbs out there can cost thousands of dollars, you can't possibly expect a plug in for a $400 software package to sound as good.

Price != quality.

Forever,

Kim.

Archived