Ebay Sh*t!!! Does $30 ground shipping sound a little steep to you?

• Members

A few days ago I found an ultimate 2 tier A frame on Ebay with no reserve and a few bids around the $35 mark. Halfway interested I placed a maximum bid of $46.... and low and behold I won. Even though I really don't want or need the stand I figured I would at least honor my bid and pay for the item.... until I see he's charging $45 for US ground shipping? Is this a scam? I ship things all the time and it doesn't cost me $45 in ground shipping? Does that sound a little high to you all?

:eek:

• Members

So $30 or $45? Don't forget most sellers factor in "handling," which may range from the cost of the box, to the packing supplies, to the time it takes to pack it, to transportation costs (especially of a larger, heavier item). $30 would be reasonable, $45 maybe a little less so.

Perhaps you should have inquired about the shipping before bidding? :)

• Members

I got burnt bad on shipping with my JP-8080

it was a rip off, but really, what can you do?

maybe wait till the very last day possible and then leave negative feedback... but i just have a bad vibe about negative feedback unless i think im dealing with a criminal.

anyways, that was the start of my love/hate relationship with my JP- series synth. That thing has been a pain in my ass in many ways, and it makes you wonder why its so popular with such kindergarden envelopes... but it does have a few twists that give it flavor

These day I've got it layered with its algorhitmic successor, the VariOS-8.

• Members

Yeah, well I just found out that I'm going to get stiffed on an extra $18.00(US) UPS delivery charge in ADDITION to the $20.00 I was ALREADY charged from a (Ebay)seller.

And all for a pair of headphones!!!(Sennheiser HD-280)

Shouldn't there be some kinda Ebay policy where sellers are required to list ALL shipping charges, prior to shipment(including these bull{censored} UPS stealth delivery charges - which you would think those who regularly ship UPS would be well aware of)?

UPS Brokerage Rates

Standard Disbursement Fee : 4.50

Standard COD Surcharge : 4.00

Add the Entry Prep amount from table below plus GST for final UPS Brokerage charges.

Please note that Express and Expedited service include the entry prep fees.

Value For Duty in Canadian Dollars UPS Entry Prep Fee

0.00 - 40.00 6.00

40.01 - 100.00 16.50

100.01 - 200.00 22.50

200.01 - 350.00 29.00

350.01 - 500.00 33.00

500.01 - 750.00 42.00

750.01 - 1000.00 42.00

1000.01 - 1250.00 47.00

1250.01 - 1600.00 50.00

The tracking info states the shipping method as 'Standard' and *NOT* Express or Expedited, So WTF?

Do only Canadians have to put up with this {censored}?

Are any of you guys ever hit with these stealth UPS delivery charges that are *NEVER* factored into the original shipping estimate/charge?

The thing that infuriates me, is that UPS is obviously encouraging this kind of deception; I've NEVER had this problem(or any problem for that matter) with USPS or FedEx.

It's not so much the money, because I would rather a greedy seller charge extra for shipping with another carrier, than give my money to UPS!

I honestly get pissed off every time I see a UPS commercial('What can Brown do for you today!').

Someone should put this company out of business.

It's going to take every ounce of will-power not to smash the hapless UPS delivery person when they come knocking on the door in the next few hours.

I wouldn't care how desperate I was, I would never work for a company like UPS.

{censored} UPS, and {censored} their employees!!! :mad:

• Members

unreasonable or not, you are responsible for agreeing to any seller's auction terms if you bid on an item

It's an innocent and common mistake to get excited about the possibility of a good deal on somethign you've allways wanted and not read any fine print at the bottom. I'm sure there are two or three honest sellers out there that charge that much because this is the one or two times the've sold a keyboard or something and know it's a pain in the ass to go down to the store look for a box ect ect ..

But there are a ton of dishonest people that lower the price of their item and shift it into the shipping cost. Those are the people that promise for 45$ your item will arrive in a velvet lined case handcuffed to a rented security guard. And then you get the item look at the 15$ shipping tag, no insurance, nothing out of the ordinary packing ect .. They hope most people are too stupid to notice those things. There are a ton of people that sell copied sample CDs (sold as "homemade") sell them at 3.85$ for priority mail and then you get it in a flat envelope with no case at 35 cents.

So I think peoplemore often than not abuse the shipping charges. And the one time you got zinged by not paying attention.. I can understand if you get mad and want to come here to post about it..:)

• Members

DodgingRain wrote:

What UPS stealth charges?

Yeah, if it's not common knowledge it's probably just a Canadian 'thing'(It seems like ALL cross border shipments to Canada will be subject to an import fee which apparently includes an arbitrary GST charge, as well as the aforementioned entry-prep fee derived from the sum of both the GST charge *AND* the 'value for duty' - at least that's the only sense I could make of it) lucky me!

Anyway, if this is truly the case, I can't really expect most shippers to be familiar with UPS Canadian import fees.

So, provided the headphones work(the packing material, like EVERY UPS shipment I've ever received, looks like it was sat on by JABBA the Hut! - I mean, WTF do they use to transport packages? mobile trash-compactors!? :confused: ), I'll consider leaving feedback; I'll start burning them in later tonight.

Now all I have to do is find some place that will ship a SoundCraft Compact 10, *NOT* UPS(did I mention I *HATE* UPS :mad: )

• Members

When I sold my Alesis QS8 synth on eBay and shipped it, yer darn tootin' I charged around $45 for shipping, because that's what it cost me to do a good and responsible job packing and shipping it. We are talkin' about a really big, heavy yet delicate item here, of course. There's nothing worse than receiving a synth with a smashed LCD, etc. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

When I sold my Alesis QS8 synth on eBay and shipped it, yer darn tootin' I charged around $45 for shipping, because that's what it cost me to do a good and responsible job packing and shipping it. We are talkin' about a really big, heavy yet delicate item here, of course. There's nothing worse than receiving a synth with a smashed LCD, etc.
;)

Amen, brotha. Anyone who considers buying anything, anywhere should always ask for and understand all the details. Some sellers don't even put a shipping fee down, and I'm still amazed how many people blindly bid. For all the bidders know, the shipping could be totally arbitrary, though that's rare. But in any case, always be sure to ask the seller of all potential charges before even considering bidding.

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

When I sold my Alesis QS8 synth on eBay and shipped it, yer darn tootin' I charged around $45 for shipping, because that's what it cost me to do a good and responsible job packing and shipping it. We are talkin' about a really big, heavy yet delicate item here, of course. There's nothing worse than receiving a synth with a smashed LCD, etc.
;)

I agree... but $45 for shipping a keyboard stand still sounds a little high. I will honor the auction but I've definately learned a valuable lesson.

• Members

Originally posted by nSCOURGE

Yeah, well I just found out that I'm going to get stiffed on an extra $18.00(US) UPS delivery charge in ADDITION to the $20.00 I was ALREADY charged from a (Ebay)seller.

And all for a pair of headphones!!!(Sennheiser HD-280)

Shouldn't there be some kinda Ebay policy where sellers are required to list ALL shipping charges, prior to shipment(including these bull{censored} UPS stealth delivery charges - which you would think those who regularly ship UPS would be well aware of)?

!
:mad:

No, because if you don't see their shipping fees listed, you are supposed to have enough common sense to ASK the seller what those are BEFORE you bid.

I'm not trying to sound like a prick, but you really should read the auction through, check the seller's feedback profile, and ASK all questions before placing that first bid ;)

• Members

Smokin-Man wrote:

No, because if you don't see their shipping fees listed, you are supposed to have enough common sense to ASK the seller what those are BEFORE you bid.

I'm not trying to sound like a prick, but you really should read the auction through, check the seller's feedback profile, and ASK all questions before placing that first bid

This does little good if the seller won't divulge, or doesn't know, the final shipping costs.

And like I said; I'm used to paying ONE shipping fee, to the seller prior to shipment. NOT an additional undisclosed charge upon delivery.

But I place the burden of blame upon UPS, as I've never paid this kind of delivery fee with any other carrier, so it is entirely possible that many sellers remain ignorant of the UPS cross-border import fee.

Archived