Sample drum kits for Ambient stuff- Spectrasonics Stylus or Liquid Grooves?

• Members

I have zero (0) loops and construction kits to work with with exception of a Pro Samples NY Cutz CD. I've been fasinated with Stylus (I own Atmosphere) and was thinking about buying it, but I just discovered Liquid Grooves for $100 less. I wonder if that is more what I am looking for... a sample library of percussion loops and beats for ambient type stuff. I have a 0 IQ for drum programming so that leaves out anything manufactured by Alesis, Yamaha or Boss.

Any opinions?

• Members

i happen to own both of these and i also do a lot of ambient work. and to my memory i don't think i've ever used Stylus for a single ambient piece. i never really considered it much use for that sort of thing. it's more of a breakbeat ROMpler. it's got tons and tons of breaks, most with a crusty "vinyl" feel to them. there is a decent amount of percussion and things that you could use for ambient tunes but not a whole lot in comparison. i think you'd be better off buying some stand alone collections. even something like Kontact. that would give you a lot more control and customization options than Stylus. and Kontakt comes with a huge collection of impressive hits. i use Native Instruments synthetic drums collection a lot as well. also i like collections from Bashiri Johnson and things like Heart of Africa and other ethnic libraries too.

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

i happen to own both of these and i also do a lot of ambient work. and to my memory i don't think i've ever used Stylus for a single ambient piece. i never really considered it much use for that sort of thing. it's more of a breakbeat ROMpler. it's got tons and tons of breaks, most with a crusty "vinyl" feel to them. there is a decent amount of percussion and things that you could use for ambient tunes but not a whole lot in comparison. i think you'd be better off buying some stand alone collections. even something like Kontact. that would give you a lot more control and customization options than Stylus. and Kontakt comes with a huge collection of impressive hits. i use Native Instruments synthetic drums collection a lot as well. also i like collections from Bashiri Johnson and things like Heart of Africa and other ethnic libraries too.

I have Kompakt (not Kontakt) and I preety much just use it as a sample player.... sad isn't it. :( At this point I'm confident enough to start programing my own beats from a kit. I don't even know the first place to start. So that was my interest in Liquid grooves. Can you customize kits is Kompakt as you have described for Kontakt?

Archived