Kurzweil PC2R v. Motif Rack

zonk222

• Members

Final days until a decision is made.

I need one of these modules to provide normal orchestral instrument sounds: strings, woodwinds, brass, as well as pianos and organs.

Which sound module do you recommend?

Please let me know the reasons for your picks!

Thanks.

- Zonk

• Members

It is best if you can demo them both before dropping a cent.

I am partial to Kurzweils. I really dig their sounds, especially pianos & strings. I played with a Motif rack the other day, and it had good sounds, but I have some problems moving around the interface.

Also keep in mind the Motif will cost approximately $100-200 more than a PC2R with an Orchestral ROM.

• Members

What scuby said...

A few years ago I was looking for the same things (bread-and-butter sounds) as you are. I would go to the local music stores at times when they were least crowded (nothing like trying to discern minute differences in sounds with a room full of drum machine fanatics). After trying all the machines available at the time I went with the Kurzweil and have since bought two more. To me they record better and more realistically than anything I have tried. Some machines would sound fuller, thicker or brighter, but when put into a thick mix they would either get lost or take on an artificial feel.

But that's me. You could very well find that a Thick Roland sound or a thin Yamaha sound is exactly what works for you. You owe it to yourself to try as many as you can. Everyone that offers their opinion will be biased towards what they have.

• Members

The PC2R with the Orchestral ROM is a better choice for orchestral instruments. Pianos are probably a little better on the Motif, as are electric pianos. But if Orchestral is important to you the PC2R is hard to beat (unless you go software).

• Members

if you want to use the sounds 'as is', the pc2r is a better choice - particularly the strings, brass, and woodwinds.

if you want to move away from the stock sounds by applying 'synth' type functions, the mo rack is a better choice.

• Members

Does the Kurz have an internal power supply or is it a wall wart? i think its a wall wart.

I bring this up because the wall wart on my Kurz SP76 blew out about every 6 months for two years of regualr 1-2 gigs/week. Sucked big time when it happened on a gig where I had no other board.

The Motif wont have a wall wart. If my S90 is any indication, the motif wont be as fragile as the SP76, will the PC2r?

If you cant decide between the two, think on this

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

Does the Kurz have an internal power supply or is it a wall wart? i think its a wall wart.

I bring this up because the wall wart on my Kurz SP76 blew out about every 6 months for two years of regualr 1-2 gigs/week. Sucked big time when it happened on a gig where I had no other board.

The Motif wont have a wall wart. If my S90 is any indication, the motif wont be as fragile as the SP76, will the PC2r?

If you cant decide between the two, think on this

The PC2's don't have a wall-wart, though they do use external

power supplies (6' 110v. - power supply - 6' low voltage cable)

and I can see where the 4-pin micro-plug could be a weak spot.

But, i've been using mine for a couple years without a problem and would never base my decision on an instrument by it's power supply unless it was inherently noisy.

And the SP76 is to the PC2x as the Yamaha PSR100 is to the P250. Two entirely different machines and build qualities.

• Members

Zonk222, You may want to consider that Kurzweil is out of business or has been bought by Samick and parts may or may not be a problem in case of trouble with the PC2r. You could contact Kurzweil/Samick and see if there are going to be parts support for this unit, if not I would definitely go with the moRack.

Another consideration is expandability. Yamaha has just release news of their upcoming PLG card with a new triple strike piano.

There are not many expansion boards available for the PC2r and may never get any further with new ownership.

• Members

You can always find parts on the used market, especially things like expansion, etc. But Kurzweil is still in business, regardless their change of ownership. Besides, this wouldn't be the first time: it was sold to Young Chang before being sold to Samick.

Archived