Creative crisis?

sinew1958

• Members

Do you have sometimes a creative crisis?No inspiration,tired of making music?You feel that you have done everything with your instruments?That you need a break?Or that you want to sell your instruments and start a new hobby?Changing styles,buy new instruments can make you new interest in music.

• Members

I actually find that's the time to {censored}ing get on the floor and do the push ups with your fists, except musically speaking.

Like, learn some new chord inversions, scales, tunes. Sit down and completely forget about the technology and write some tunes, hit the books, and THEN go back and fit that into your technology.

• Members

Here's another tip:

Every day right when you wake up write at least three pages of what's on your mind. Do this no matter what. You can write anything, angry letters, dirty limericks, summaries of your day, descriptions of people you like and dislike, things about your work, imaginary scenarios , song lyrics, poems etc.

Then write some music, but don't try to write music just let it happen, like a musical journal.

Don't even worry about what you're writing as you do this. The whole idea is ANYTHING goes, good/bad up down left right- doesn't matter.

This is clearing your mind and letting your creative self know that you're being attentive. It is building up a stock of material that you can leter go back and try to form and rewrite. But don't even worry about that second step when you're just letting loose with what's on your mind.

Whatever your reaching for first has to be on your mind for you to touch it. You have to known what's on your mind!!!!

Then be sure to go out and do fun things, things that are somehow creatively fulfilling and artistically exciting. Like firmly plan to go out and do at least one cool thing, go see a concert, or a movie, buy a cool CD, go to a museum, take a trip, go fishing ..,whatever, a week.

Also try to find people who are into the same musical stuff as you to keep yourself focused on music, maybe if you have a friend who is more accomplished that would be inspiring and motivating, and you could learn from that friend.

• Members

Originally posted by sinew1958

Do you have sometimes a creative crisis?No inspiration,tired of making music?You feel that you have done everything with your instruments?That you need a break?Or that you want to sell your instruments and start a new hobby?Changing styles,buy new instruments can make you new interest in music.

Sometimes I feel like that - but it usually only happens when I sit down to start a piece with no idea as to what I'll do. When this happens I'll throw up some distorted drums or something, then get really bored because I've heard it all before, and everything I try to do I've already heard.

Then I remember that I'm just feeling uninspired, and being extremely lazy by expecting my gear to inspire me.

No problem, I go do something else until I feel like composing something specific (ie - I have an idea of what I want to compose, before I compose it).

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeez

Sometimes I feel like that - but it usually only happens when I sit down to start a piece
with no idea as to what I'll do
. When this happens I'll throw up some distorted drums or something, then get really bored because I've heard it all before, and everything I try to do I've already heard.

Then I remember that I'm just feeling uninspired, and being
extremely lazy
by expecting my gear to inspire me.

No problem, I go do something else until I feel like composing something
specific
(ie - I have an idea of what I want to compose, before I compose it).

Forever,

Kim.

This is funny, because I work totally opposite to that. If I try to do a piece with any goal in mind whatsoever, it will probably not get off the ground, if it does I will think it sucks, it generally will not go my way. But if I just do whatever, and let it roll, and I just keep moving with whatever I'm doing, I generally end up with a result that I am satisfied with.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeez

I've never written a piece about a blade of grass (I think it's a silly idea, personally).

Note to self- write piece about a blade of grass. ;)

But not really ;)

You might think it's silly, and that's cool, but you just inspired me!

• Members

If you've been hot with inspiration before then you have a lot of stuff you just quickly sketched out. When you're "uninspired" that's the time to go back and make something out of them and finish something. The flash gave you the inspiration; its well you don't have it all the time or you'd never get anything done.

Archived