What to do about OT threads?

hcadmin

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just drop in here once in a while,so my two cents worth is only worth a cent and a half.

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. The OT stuff that has always been a part of this forum has just changed form.It's political instead of the stuff about hamsters, bodily functions and whatever.This too shall pass.In two months.

And you go through this moderator/no moderator angst at least twice a year.Of course, the regulars in the forum dont want a moderator, unless it's them getting attacked.When it's the usual 10 or so people beating the crap out of whoever offends you this week, then everything is just fine.

Right?

Yeah, I dont have to read it, and if I'm not interested I dont. That's my choice and decision.

As far as the OT stuff goes and kicking it out or to a new forum, consider this:

A lot of the people that post in the OTs here woudnt want to go to OJ because, let's face it, the general IQ level in this forum is about 50 points higher on average. I've seen some amazing discussions here about various things, as have all of you. There's some really smart,thoughful people here, and throwing those discussions into the OJ mix just woudnt work.

Far as I'm concerned, OJ is a cesspool. I dont like it, I dont read it, it's childish and vulgar. My choice, YMMV.

So, it a "Son of KSS/OJ" is created, you get the 10 or so guys from here that are genetically predisposed to posting 20 times a day, and eventually it will fill up with OJers, the 10 or so will complain ( in this forum ) about it, and demand something be done, and meanwhile the existing KSS forum will have lost traffic and deteriorated as a result. Except for all the sniffling " I'm leaving forever, see ya tomorrow" threads from people who love free speech...on their terms.

Not to mention that your new forum would be as boring as hell in about 2 weeks after the novelty wore off.

The Recording forum, they got a mod, world didnt end.Same for the Mac forum. Less trolls, less crud.

Make up your minds, and I hope you dont ruin a still very good forum in the process. THAT would be a shame.

Just get a moderator and leave Scott in peace. It's funny that of the people that "live" here, you dont seem to be able to trust one of you to handle the mod gig.

Now here comes all the "we dont need a mod"hysterics from the same people that have probably been complaining to the admin and started all this ruckus.
;)
Have fun.

• Members

Admittedly, I do check this forum quite frequently. A lot of times, I do find the political-OT topics a bit annoying. But, I do agree with a few of the posters in this thread about self-moderation. Amongst all of the zanyness that occurs once in a while, this forum is still full of very intelligent and like-minded people who post interesting topics even outside the realm of synths and samplers. I guess that's what keeps me coming back here. I even find in the political-OT threads some intelligent and challenging discussions. My general feeling about this whole OT thing has always been, "if you don't like the thread, don't post in it". Let the thread fade in KSS oblivion.

Just my 0.02

Tuck

• Members

political threads belong in OJ - more or less. its pretty much as simple as that. well. let me rephrase. COPY AND PASTE political threads.

most of the socialization threads are okay.
a thread like ableton live vs sonar is TOTALLY absolutly 100% on topic in my view. i mean live is basically a software sampler in itself.

i kinda do wish we had a mod to sticky FAQ type threads and get rid of any consistant and blatant OT bull{censored}. but the question of who...... :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

The KSS Synth Demo thread is a good candidate for a sticky.

The stickys can be usefull. Some sugestions for sticky, plus previous:

Sitcky KSS FAQ Thread

Sitcky The Composition Thread

Sitcky The KSS Synth Demo thread

Sitcky p120dUde thread (the official OT about something)

• Members

I have no problem with topics that may not be strictly about Keys, Synths, or Samplers, but are somehow related, even loosely. Topics about radiohead, audio software, etc. are totally cool in my book. All of the political OT threads get obnoxious and should go, but to be honest I thought the nonsense OT was far worse, the P120dUdE thread was horrible and the poop threads from way back were just obnoxious.

I have always thought this board could use a moderator, and I have always thought Yoozer would be an excellent candidate, if he were willing to take on the job. He's got a strong presense on the board, I've never seen him behave arrogantly, flame anybody else, etc. He's on topic but not ruthlessly so (I think having a total anti-OT fascist could be equally damaging to the forum as OT itself is), he's always willing to help out newer members, he doesn't lord his post count over other members, he's just a helluva good guy.

• Members

Originally posted by slehman

Simply, would you prefer to have a strictly on-topic forum?

I don't think you should change any rules at this particular moment. We are in the homestretch of a very heated Presidential election. After the first week of November the political threads are going to die off on their own.

If OT threads are a persistant phenomena through the rest of the year after the election, then consider measures like "Keys Jam" or deletions, or what have you.

I certainly do not believe that threads about Ableton Live or Radiohead should be deleted or moved. Indeed if that sort of discussion was outlawed I'd probably become a less regular reader of the forums. Who wants a forum that's all "Motif vs. Triton" polls?

As far as political threads, I don't object to someone taking the time to write a thoughtful commentary and posting it under an "OT" heading. However, cutting and pasting entire articles from a web site and posting it here without significant commentary is just a nuisance. Those sorts of posts should be summarily deleted.

My name is radiospace, and I approved the content of this message.

• Members
Originally posted by Is.

I've never seen him behave arrogantly, flame anybody else

That's because I saved that for OJ. I haven't been there (thanks to my homebuilt 12-step program) since..

well, slap my ass and call me Charly! I only appear there in the search because some OT threads were moved! :).

Aw shucks, you're flattering me too much :o. I'd take the job though :).

• Members

As a participant in just about every aspect of this forum I have to say something...

Absolutely not. Why? We've never needed one and we don't now. This is just a little hurdle that will make or break this forum and to simply write it off easily and go for a moderator is a lack of effort on the part of the forum. The forum has made everyone here more informed and in many cases stronger musicians...to turn around and not put into something that put out for you is repugnantly selfish. Maybe that's a little too much attachment from me but I've been here a while and it bothers me when people straight up don't care. This official post from The Great Magnet should be enough to calm things down anyway. When the man drops in to talk about a problem, people listen and behave.

So with this official attention, I think everyone is probably straightening up a little and being a little more serious with the issue. My point: we don't need a moderator, we have The Great Magnet who drops in from time to time and that should be enough to keep us in check when things start getting out of control like this. I mean this happens what, every few years? Jesus that's not need for moderation...

Sticky Threads
Let's not do too much of a good thing, I think a sticky thread about demos and a sticky thread of FAQs are two great ideas. Three more is going to clog up the front page more than OT political bull{censored}...we don't need to replace one stinky clog with a better smelling one if the issue is really the clog. I hate dropping into other forums and having to scroll past five or six stickies so I can see the remaining seven threads...especially when the stickies are too damned long to read. I'm not going to drop into a forum and read something eleven pages long, I think if we do stickies we have to do them carefully.

I vote for a FAQ sticky and a demo sticky.

Politics
Ahhhh the heart of the issue. Politics should be allowed in here for reasons I've already said too many times, but let's give a little attention to the form it comes in. How about one political thread? It shouldn't be that hard, it'll roll on it's own and stay on the front page on it's own, and we'll just make it an unwritten forum rule that it all goes in there. Political threads thrive off responses, without responses they slide off the front page, problem solved. That should be enough to take care of rogue political threads...people simply shouldn't respond. So if someone mistakenly posts a thread titled "Bush and the War on Terror" or whatever, we just respond hey keep it in the politics thread... and end it there. If it's a good thread someone can cut and paste it into the political thread and get it going there. Not that hard. It'd definately work and it's the most efficient and natural solution to this issue. Just one unstickied political thread.

OT in General
As far as I'm concerned, anything regarding music and the forum should be accepted here without being considered OT. This is a community of keyboarders, not necessarily a forum of keyboard material...those forums are boring and unproductive. If we keep that mentality of keyboard community not keyboard content, OT won't be a problem. I mean, I'm not going to go to OJ to have a good conversation about a new album I like...I want to talk with you guys about it. That's the turn off with OJ, it's a bunch of assholes and I'd rather talk about nothing than talk with them.

Saying take the OT to OJ is simply an ignorant (harsh word I know) response from someone on the outside of the whole idea of OT. I post OT here to talk specifically to you intelligent, informed, and generally respectful people. That's pretty much why everyone posts OT here. Smokin-Man, imagine having to post about your personal issue over in OJ...imagine how that would've gone. It would've been treated disrespectfully and hijacked in minutes.

OT aside from politics shouldn't be regulated because not that much of it comes up. Send the annoying political overflow into one political thread, and let an occasional personal thread come up and slide away with the issue it represents. Easy peasy japanesie.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

...This is a community of keyboarders, not necessarily a forum of keyboard material...

+1.

I liked this definition a lot.

What about just making a little, small change in the KSS forum name to reflect this?

Some like KSS - KyeboardISTs, Synths and Samplers.

• Members
Originally posted by slehman

I think the real objections I received had to do with political threads. While I originally didn't think just restricting political threads would be viable, I'm warming up to the idea.

we had a pretty decent thread about this very issue last week. in fact- is this thread a rerun? the general plot and dialogue seems the same---oh well- it worked for the A-team I suppose.:)

my opinion---we should make sure there's one good political thread. not, like, 3 threads for every time our commander in chief says something stupid. that's waaay too many threads to keep track of.;) (8 bit drum machine roll). so yes- we need some good old fashioned rebellion in this forum for me to stay interested. so I agree with FMP's idea about having a 'political' thread. btw- and what does that mean?----is discussing unemployment, the war, socialized medicine, and the AL mvp race all forms of 'politics'?

honestly- I think some of you guys are acting like whiners. 2 years ago this site was full of pictures of bare chested brazilian soccer fan hotties and nobody seemed to mind one bit. that seemed to be a bit off topic to me but I didn't write a letter to my senator about it---it passed like all OT threads (except the dUde thread).

I mean---do we really need a moderator? and if so who is this night in shining armor?

::chill out::

muchlove,
/johnny

l mix r :)

• Members
Originally posted by Yoozer

That's because I saved that for OJ. I haven't been there (thanks to my homebuilt 12-step program) since..

well, slap my ass and call me Charly! I only appear there in the search because some OT threads were moved!
:)

Aw shucks, you're flattering me too much
:o
. I'd take the job though
:)

Yeah, I'm on the OJ 12-step program too. Ars longa, vita brevis.

I have rooted for Yoozer to be the "floor moderator" (Scott is the exec. mod!) before, and so do now. :)

Now all I need is some sleep. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by gilbertopb

+1.

I liked this definition a lot.

What about just making a little, small change in the KSS forum name to reflect this?

Some like KSS - KyeboardISTs, Synths and Samplers.

How about just Keyboardists? The line between synths and samplers has practically disappeared, and there are a lot of pianists and organists here. ;)

After due consideration, let's keep it to 4 stickies max: FAQ, Composition, Demos, and one that changes every month--selected by our tasteful floor moderator from the previous month's threads. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Fear My Potato

I mean, I'm not going to go to OJ to have a good conversation about a new album I like...I want to talk with you guys about it. That's the turn off with OJ, it's a bunch of assholes and I'd rather talk about nothing than talk with them.

Your long and thoughtful post, most of which was well-considered, stalls here. I like the guys at OJ and miss them. Just don't have the time. Great fun, tho. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Jeez

Oooh! A sticky
!!!

Seriously, I don't think the OT threads are
that
bad. Sure, they ruin the fun when they drown out the more interesting (to me) topics about music and making music. When there are heaps of OT threads, I just spend my time elsewhere anyway.

No you're here though, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of "We want some stickies!"

At the moment, I can think of two important sticky threads:

The Composition Thread
, and

FAQ / Info for newbies / Read this before you post

maybe we could paste the links from the music links thread into the faq/for newbies thread?! that way we won't have too many stickies clogging up the page!

• Members

come to think of it, why are people bitching about the volume of OT posts? :confused:

there's only 2 threads that are not music or gear related on the first page and not one of them is about politics!

anyway, i support the idea of 3 stickies:

- composition thread
- synth demo thread
- faq for newbs + music links threads joined together

and if we have to have a mod, which i don't think we do, Yoozer would be my favorite candidate too.

Archived