Drum Programming 101.... drum machine or sequencer

wheresgrant3

• Members

Ok.... this not even close to being my department, but I've been elected by default to handle this.

The cover band I play in has an extensive dance/funk/rap medley that gets the crowd going, and by the end pushes them over the edge. It starts with "It's Tricky" from RunDMC and plays a montage of songs which includes Salt N Pepper, DJ Kool, Nelly, Biz Markee Stevie Wonder, The Ohio Players, Kool And The Gang and Wild Cherry. It's by far the highlight of our set and we are always trying to build and improve on it.

So they want to add 50 Cent's "In Da Club" and the drummer wants to back from behind the kit and sing/rap ...er whatever. So eveyone has turned to me to program the backing drum track while drummer boy does his best Eminem impression. The problem is I have never programmed a single drum track in my entire life. The backing track seems pretty easy....Its straight 4/4 on the floor however the kick drum is on the upbeat and a dotted 8th note on the

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

you sure the beat isnt bare you could grab at the intro?

you seem to have a pretty piss poor attutude about the whole thing. just sequence the beat fer crying out loud... arent you getting paid? its not exactly rocket science. its pop music.

Dude!! Are you joking? What is your problem? :confused:

Why is it every time you contribute to one of my threads it's to belittle me and then forget to offer any reasonable or objective solution. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=722620

If life is that easy for you, then I'm glad.... just do me a favor and stay off my threads. When I post in this forum, it's to either to vent or ask for the collective opinions of members who are far more talented and experienced than I am. I assume your from that group, but I can tell you this much.... no one likes an elitist. Take your {censored}ty posters and stay off my threads. :rolleyes:

• Members

#1) programing a sequence on my Triton which I could trigger quickly.... I've never sequenced anything before... but now is a good time to start, and I just bought a $30 DVD tutorial from Triton Haven "How to Sequence with The Triton LE" for this purpose.

Option #1 for sure.

• Members

damn. sorry. not like im tracking you down on purpose or anything. youre just asking seemingly simple technical questions... its like... uhh... just... do it?

you seriously act like you dont even want to even try to sequence it on your triton.. when you say things like

"sing/rap ...er whatever."

"#4) Just completely back away from the challenge and tell my drummer to sit his ass behind the kit. Live the rest of my life in shame because I "fled" instead of choose to "fight". "

"drummer tells me. :rolleyes:"

wtf?

THAT seems like a pretty poor attutude doing into things.

i say dig into the triton.. and learn how to utilize what you already own and have paid for.

from now on ill remember your name and stay out.

btw. if you choose to lift the sample from the original song. i found some places at the end where there is no *go shorty* or anything.... just dre's beat.

good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

damn. sorry. not like im tracking you down on purpose or anything. youre just asking seemingly simple technical questions... its like... uhh... just... do it?

you seriously act like you dont even want to even
try
to sequence it on your triton.. when you say things like

"sing/rap ...er whatever."

"#4) Just completely back away from the challenge and tell my drummer to sit his ass behind the kit. Live the rest of my life in shame because I "fled" instead of choose to "fight". "

"drummer tells me. :rolleyes:"

wtf?

THAT seems like a pretty poor attutude doing into things.

i say dig into the triton.. and learn how to utilize what you already own and have paid for.

from now on ill remember your name and stay out.

I apologize myself... no reason to start flaming each other. I am completely inexperienced and I was just looking for some objective opinions at how to approach this problem. All of the "points" you presented about my "poor attitude" are my own thinly veiled attempts at humor and sarcasm. Maybe that wasn't evident. Sorry for calling you an elitist and saying that your posters are {censored}ty. I've never met your posters and I have no right to pass judgement against them ... (see another thinnly veiled attempt, maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead. ;) )

• Members

hey, wheresgrant.:cool:

here's a few lil' pointers I think may apply to whatever gear you use. never used a triton (just mpc and reason)- so hope this helps a little.

just like synth- attack, decay, and tuning of drum sounds give them life. if snare is on 2 and 4- make one decay more, simulating a different stick hit. try tuning kick down slightly on the 1 for 'deep' pulse- or double it with a deeper kick. for 'dancy' part- use shaker, hat, or tamb and 1/16th notes. vary attack/decay slightly to simulate accents (generally with snare hit on 2 and 4). good sounding kik, snare, shaker- that's really all you need for dance music IMO. quality better then quantity when getting people to shake there fool asses.

hope you get the boat rockin' and get some good pics ;)

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

hey, wheresgrant.
:cool:

here's a few lil' pointers I think may apply to whatever gear you use. never used a triton (just mpc and reason)- so hope this helps a little.

just like synth- attack, decay, and tuning of drum sounds give them life. if snare is on 2 and 4- make one decay more, simulating a different stick hit. try tuning kick down slightly on the 1 for 'deep' pulse- or double it with a deeper kick. for 'dancy' part- use shaker, hat, or tamb and 1/16th notes. vary attack/decay slightly to simulate accents (generally with snare hit on 2 and 4). good sounding kik, snare, shaker- that's really all you need for dance music IMO. quality better then quantity when getting people to shake there fool asses.

hope you get the boat rockin' and get some good pics
;)

/johnny

l mix r

haha! :D Thanks.... Johnny and Alleran. No more boat. The summer's over, just sweaty clubs from now till next memorial day. Thanks for the suggestions. I just started watching the DVD last night.... and will hopefully be able to tackle the rest this week. I've never owned a drum machine or have done programing, so this is a little like driving a car without a lesson. At first I though it would be easier to buy a cheap drum machine.... but after watching the DVD I imagine this approach is do-able from scratch on the triton.

Up to now I've done patch programming.... just not any sequencing.

• Members

another approach would be to have a drum kit loaded on the triton and just bang it out by hand if there's not much else going on during that part of the song.

you seem to know all the routes that you can use to achieve what you need to do, i'd explore them all and see what sounds/feels better for you.

• Members

Originally posted by void

another approach would be to have a drum kit loaded on the triton and just bang it out by hand if there's not much else going on during that part of the song.

you seem to know all the routes that you can use to achieve what you need to do, i'd explore them all and see what sounds/feels better for you.

That would be the best solution... for me anyway.... then I wouldn't have to worry about riggering a sample, start a sequencer or anything... I could just plqay at my que... unfortunately I don't have four hands... And I have to play the string hits as well as the drum beat.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I apologize myself... no reason to start flaming each other. I am completely inexperienced and I was just looking for some objective opinions at how to approach this problem. All of the "points" you presented about my "poor attitude" are my own thinly veiled attempts at humor and sarcasm. Maybe that wasn't evident. Sorry for calling you an elitist and saying that your posters are {censored}ty. I've never met your posters and I have no right to pass judgement against them ... (see another thinnly veiled attempt, maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead.
;)
)

seriously. its ohkay. i do realize im an elitist asshole (sometimes not even rightfully so). but its not like i enjoy making enemies all the same.

and the posters are pretty {censored}ty. :( they are my leftovers that nobody wanted to buy when i put them up individually the first time. ---- i mean really.. who actually SAW that newest loony tunes flick?.... nobody. yea.

Archived