Every thing seams so lame now days.

anykeystudio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mike51

The GAS has largely died. Anyone else notice this?

As true as mo-fiddy! As soon as I got me Motif ES6, Access Virus KC and Korg Kaoss 2 (and a bunch of software), that GAS stays right up in that ass. (and yes, I can say this to those of you who still got {censored} 'cos it took me 7 years to realize my home studio!)

I used to ogle and leer at the ad section in Future Music, SOS etc...nowadays, I can't even be bothered to buy the mo-{censored}ets, unless there's something interesting on the cover CD.

I've become jaded, but it doesn't matter 'cos I gots no GAS, and I'm making music!

• Members

well i'm aquiring my first studio .. So there are still things I want / need to buy ..

But really nothing is breaking the bank as far as GAS goes.. I can undetstand. Clavia, Access.. just push out 3 - 4 - 5 - verison of their products.. Korg, Roland ect just rerelease the same basic technology with a tiny upgrade ..

If I have the Virus C, I might buy the Q when enough changes had been made to make it a different instrument..

Maybe were all a little older, little wiser? ;)

But there are plenty of new people probabaly looking atthe whole spectrum, old and new, going "wow wow wow .."

• Members

I'm of the view that technology has advanced to the point that pretty much all of the synth manufacturers are *almost* at the point of making "near-perfect" (as in "good enough, and you really couldn't ask for much more) digital synths; in other words, each one is just a *little* short of being nearly a "dream" synth. E.g:

Motif ES: great sound (with megavoices!), mulitiple synths engines possible, but horrible user interface. Fix the interface, and it's nearly a perfect synth, and would definitely be all-in-one if you added a hard drive and CD-RW.

Triton Extreme: great sound (with MOSS board option), but no megavoices like Motif ES or even Korg's own PA1X. Add the megavoices and a hard drive/CD-RW like the Triton Studio (call it "Extreme Studio"?) and what more would you ever need?

Roland Fantom-X: great sound, but specs are less than competition, and no new synth engines possible. Increase the ROM and effects, and arpeggio # and quality like Triton or Motif ES, and allow *any* new synth engine to be added (like VARIOS), and with CD-RW what more would you ever need?

Access Virus-C: Fantastic Sound, but limited routing, filters, and effects options, and keyboard version's potential knob space is wasted. Add a few more filters, effects, and routing options, maybe some new (richer) oscillator types, and cover the keyboard version entirely with knobs, and what more could you reasonably ask from a VA? Here's hoping the Virus-D is out soon.

Clavia G2: Awesome sound diversity, but cold/hard sound. I have yet to hear *anything* come out of the numerous G2 demos I've heard that sounds like "rich, warm, fat" analog to me. If they had added a new oscillator type that could sound like the Alesis Ion's VA (whose demos are amazing), I probably would have bought one by now.

Alesis Ion: great sound, but severaly hindered by lack of effects options (especially delay and reverb!) and limited polyphony, as well as numerous on-line complaints regarding quality control. Add more effects and double polyphony, with reliable quality control, and I probably would have already bought one of those, too.

So I think the next generation of digital synths that's right around the corner will be almost as much as any electronic musician could reasonably hope for in the way of digital synths, and any of the above improved versions I described would probably never become obsolete, the sound quality and diversity would be so great. Or am I mistaken?

• Members

I think that Bjork made a great statement recently.

"Instruments are soo out"

:)

A little harsh.. but as an artist, I want to get back to basics.. Get back to what got me into music in the first place.. the music itself. Not the gear and goodies.

I have been writing on nothing more than an acoustic guitar lately and my songs have gotten much better. I haven't had time to scroll through thousands of patches to find what I want. The process of using all that gear often overshadows the creative process and sometimes it's soo overwhelming that I get nothing done using alot of gear.

A great artist can make amazing music with anything that can make some sound. Not at all to knock great gear.. You can obviously work wonders with the right gear, but GAS shouldn't overwhelm your creativity.

Use what you've got the best you can. When you can afford or REALLY need something new, get it. I feel that all I need is an A6 at this point and I'll be set for a LONG time.

• Members

I think we're just too damn spoiled. There is virtually everything available to make music, yet we find reasons to look for newer and better products. That's why everything seems so lame now: because 99% of everything has already been done and is available. Hell, we even have tons of choices between products that do literally the same thing.

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

that's funny. of course I think the new record is awesome so I guess I don't really care what bjork uses to make music as long as her arresting voice is involved---I find her voice more strinking w/o so much stuff going on in the track.

she's right- the novelty of having synth, drum machine, turntable, midi guitar, or whatever- has totally worn off. even the jocks have that stuff now.;) it's all become one gurgling noise- so it's really about the song (again and always:) )

but back to topic- to echo a point about new gear- if you want to run mac OS 9 you can find awesome software and hardware for VERY cheap. I'm not complaining about having the latest whatever- with my income I'd have a quarter inch 8 track setup *at best* if we were still in the 80's! I'll take the present situation- thank you very much. :cool:

Use what you've got the best you can. When you can afford or REALLY need something new, get it.

:cool:and if you need last year's 'outdated' model used, there's always some gear junkie wanting to sell it so he can keep up with joe satriani........:)

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

A little harsh.. but as an artist, I want to get back to basics.. Get back to what got me into music in the first place.. the music itself. Not the gear and goodies.

I have been writing on nothing more than an acoustic guitar lately and my songs have gotten much better. I haven't had time to scroll through thousands of patches to find what I want. The process of using all that gear often overshadows the creative process and sometimes it's soo overwhelming that I get nothing done using alot of gear.

A great artist can make amazing music with anything that can make some sound. Not at all to knock great gear.. You can obviously work wonders with the right gear, but GAS shouldn't overwhelm your creativity.

Use what you've got the best you can. When you can afford or REALLY need something new, get it. I feel that all I need is an A6 at this point and I'll be set for a LONG time.

Yeah an Andy will make you a better musician and kill all your GAS. Hell, maybe make you a better person ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

As true as mo-fiddy! As soon as I got me Motif ES6, Access Virus KC and Korg Kaoss 2 (and a bunch of software), that GAS stays right up in that ass.

Just wanted to say, that is like the perfect synth setup IMO.

• Members

GAS comes and goes, usually in 5 year cycles. ;)

MOTU didn't unveil an 828mkIII at summer NAMM (the current II is almost perfect, but I want a 192MHz option on some channels...to stave off planned obsolescence for a few more years). And so I look forward to Winter NAMM. I like my ancient ADAT and trusty Boss BR-8, but I am looking forward to 24/96 recording at home with all of Logic's advantages.

In the meantime, soon I'll be picking up Apple's first lightweight and portable desktop, an iMac G5, to supplement my 5 year old G4s (one at home, one at work). I'll have dual monitors then, very handy for my notation and Logic. Being able to play Doom III, of course, has absolutely, I mean, absolutely nothing to do with this...;)

My point is that, even if you are super productive with your music, after a while advances in technology, running more powerful software, and planned obsolescence will bite you on the ass and cause GAS. :)

• Members

\ the meantime, soon I'll be picking up Apple's first lightweight and portable desktop, an iMac G5, to supplement my 5 year old G4s (one at home, one at work). I'll have dual monitors then, very handy for my notation and Logic. Being able to play Doom III, of course, has absolutely, I mean, absolutely nothing to do with this...\

that computer wont run Doom 3 ;)

The Geforce FX 5200 is an 8$ video card. I have one sitting right here doing nothing. It's useless. I have a card from 2001 that is more powerful.

I hope your not buying that and planning to run Doom 3.

• Members

This is an outright lie from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

"Gorgeous Graphics

The sizzling graphics processor and next-generation high-bandwidth architecture kicks 3D games and graphics into high gear, with three times the frame rate as the previous iMac in Unreal Tournament 2004. NVIDIA graphics provides hardware transform and lighting (T&L), per-pixel shading and drop-dead gorgeous effects at high resolutions. All models deliver over a billion textured pixels per second and an advanced Live FX engine engineered to generate the most lifelike characters. With Quartz Extreme, the graphics processors take over transform and lighting calculation functions from the CPU, freeing the G5 processor to perform essential system tasks faster than ever before."

J-U-N-K. Your paying two grand for a crippled system. Sorry man, just thought you should know the truth.

• Members

J-U-N-K. Your paying two grand for a crippled system. Sorry man, just thought you should know the truth.

Well, I really enjoyed playing the original Doom on a 486, and all those little chunky pixels looked pretty magical. I'm not a gamer, and I have low standards, so I'll be very happy even at a "low" resolution, which will still look great to me.

After all, I like Apple because after my 486 kept crashing, Apple was like a rock. That, and the ease of use. I'm also not a computer tech type, I just want to get my work done. Macs have been a perfect fit.

But to each their own. :)

• Members

I understand their simplicity and reliability. But you are asking it to do something it simply can't. The 5200 will NOT run Doom 3. If you think 1-5 FPS at low settings is accetpable for a brand new 2000$ computer and a 60$ state of the arts graphics game, go for it. But you are asking a mouse to lift an elephant. You are going into a 50 man gun battle with a water gun.

Wether you like the game or not, you are buying a crippled system that will perform 3d video tasks as well as a 300$ pc.

• Members

I understand their simplicity and reliability. But you are asking it to do something it simply can't. The 5200 will NOT run Doom 3. If you think 1-5 FPS at low settings is accetpable for a brand new 2000$ computer and a 60$ state of the arts graphics game, go for it. But you are asking a mouse to lift an elephant. You are going into a 50 man gun battle with a water gun.

Wether you like the game or not, you are buying a crippled system that will perform 3d video tasks as well as a 300$ pc.

Well, if you are right and it's actually unplayable, then I will be even more of an idiot and go out and buy a better graphics card to add to my expense. I've been Steve Jobs' bitch for a long time, why change now? ;)

I do remember that the old ATI Rage Pro 128 that's in my G4 was not supposed to be able to run Unreal (the minimum requirements demanded a Radeon at the least), but it did, just fine. I dropped that game and all others when I swore them off to concentrate on music. But I must play Doom 3, it's compulsory. :D

By the way, the computer is $1500 (the 1.8 MHz with the SuperDrive) not $2000. I will be paying approx. $1650 for the extended AppleCare agreement. Free memory upgrade included, so 516MB not just 256MB. Probably go to a gig of memory when I upgrade from Logic Express to Pro eventually. But I work 90% with music notation software (Finale) and for that even my first low-powered Mac (a first generation 6100) was rock solid and even fun! :)

• Members

\ Free memory upgrade included, so 516MB not just 256MB. \

Thats not enough memory to properly run that game, especially when combined with that card. Todays current generation games require 1 gig of ram. Just a heads up. Can you even upgrade to a different card in that Imac G5? I dont think you can. The newer cards are huge and would not fit i nthat case. Yo uare stuck with that card, and hence a crippled system. If you dont do any 3d video you are fine, but even if you dont plan to, why buy something with it's legs cut off? {censored}. Spending 1600$ on a new computer means it should run everything out there at high settings. Thats part of the joy of plunking down the fat cash.

\

Probably go to a gig of memory when I upgrade from Logic Express to Pro eventually. But I work 90% with music notation software (Finale) and for that even my first low-powered Mac (a first generation 6100) was rock solid and even fun! \

Of course. Audio these days is not nearly as hard on cpu's as it used to be even a couple years ago. The optimizations have ma de a tremendous difference.The video crunching however has maintained it's hardware destroying pace.

• Members

I was also thinking about what you said about expecting a "state of the art" PC for your big bucks. I don't think Apple thinks that way. They have always put quality, reliability and ease of use over clock speed. They weren't first with personal digital music players or a idea like Napster, but when the iPod and then the Apple Store hit they sure made an impact, just because they were so well thought out. And they have contributed their fair share of innovation and inventions, from the floppy disk and the first practical consumer GUI to USB and now Firewire. Apple is often copied but seldom equaled. Heck, even in terms of style, Microsoft's "XP" derived from Mac OS "X", down to the blue color scheme, and even the code name was a ripoff, "Luna" from Apple's "Aqua". ;)

Archived