DJ forum is empty-Can anyone here reccomend me a basic DJ setup?

oxygen

• Members

I am looking at two Numark TT200s, and an unknown mixer. My brother does a little DJing, but not much anymore, so I may yoink his rig if he is Ok with it. He is using 2 Gemini XL-300s and a mixer that I don't remember.

I am looking to spend under 400, and don't mind buying used. I also could use some advice on getting started. I have done some work in Traktor, but I am sure real life is very different.

Thanks

Benjamin

• Members

Originally posted by oxygen

I am looking at two Numark TT200s, and an unknown mixer.

not a very compelling setup so far- especially the dreaded 'unknown'.:)

My brother does a little DJing, but not much anymore, so I may yoink his rig if he is Ok with it. He is using 2 Gemini XL-300s and a mixer that I don't remember.

good idea- I started by borrowing someone's setup to make sure turntable was an instrument I wanted to pick up.

I am looking to spend under 400, and don't mind buying used. I also could use some advice on getting started. I have done some work in Traktor, but I am sure real life is very different.

my main question is- what are you trying to do? beat juggle? rock parties? scratch a little bit with one of those prepackaged hip hop all-in-one dj records? it really all depends for me to give any gear advice. - are you going to have a laptop going in your setup?

do you want to be a dj who backs up MCs? (seems like they all play trax these days:rolleyes:- so why do they need 2 decks to play tracks and scratch a little then yell- "turn me up! turn me up!"?) do you want to do experimental music like shadow? do you want to be in a group and add choice samples like portishead?

see where I'm going?

I have a technics 1200 and vestax mixer. I don't need 2 decks b/c I'm sampling and looping things live with my kaoss pad- and adding FX'd bits of sound with some scratching. it works good for me- but I'd never dj a party with one deck or beat juggle behind an mc. works for me.

good luck,

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

I'm not a DJ, but I know a million of them. I don't know a single one that doesn't use actual 1200s. I think that's really the best way to go for the tables. Most of them use Pioneer, Numark, and Vestax mixers depending on the style they play. I notice a lot of drum and bass players use Pioneer mixers. A lot of break and scratch DJs use Vestax, and house/techno players use Numarks. I've seen multiple instances to back up these groupings, but this is by no means definitive. (Well, maybe with the exception of Vestax/break/scratch.)

• Members

I do some sequencing/programming in a friends hip-hop group, and so some of my incentive here is to DJ for them, but I would love to do some techno/house stuff. I would like to learn how to scratch, but most of the work I would be doing is collaberation.

Portishead is a good example of some of the work I would like to do. I play bass in a trip-hop style band. I am really really open to suggestions here, so throw anything at me.

I guess it sounds like I want to do a little of everything, which is a little problematic, isn't it?

Thanks for your help guys

Benjamin

• Members

I use 1210s and a Stanton SK-1 mixer, which is a simple 2 channel scratch affair and mainly play hip-hop and scratch etc. The best advice I can give you is buy Technics. The next best advice I can give you is, if you can't afford technics go to a music shop that sells turtables and try a few different ones you can afford. Try a technics table and see which of the others gets the closest in terms of feel. Even to the beginner you can see how easily the turntable grabs onto the record, changes speeds etc.

• Members

Portishead is a good example of some of the work I would like to do. I play bass in a trip-hop style band. I am really really open to suggestions here, so throw anything at me.

I guess it sounds like I want to do a little of everything, which is a little problematic, isn't it?

I'd say start with one good deck and a beginner mixer- when I started I used the numark 90 dollar mixer from GC and it was pretty cool (I miss it, actually- but it doesn't have FX send/return so...). I got my 1200 on ebay for 250 shipped and it works great. new I suppose they are 350+ and they usually aren't much less then that used b/c they hold value so well. there are other good decks though- the stanton 200 dollar deck works just fine IMO- it's just going to immediately decrease in value

you don't have to run two decks to spin samples and scratch- especially if you are multi-instrumental. in fact- an FX processor may come in handier then an additional deck if you're in a group running beats or a real kit. for 'house' or 'techno' I'd say use a laptop and one turntable.

I'd say use two turntables for beat juggling, doing parties, and doing competition dj stuff only. this is the 'real' thing- jurassic 5 etc. very few dj's do this anymore and it takes hours and hours of practice to arrive here. you can always add an additional deck should the need arrive.

/johnny

• Members

Ok, so I can get a SL1200MK2 for about 200 used locally which I am probably going to get. I am left pretty wide open on a mixer. Do I need 2,3, or 4? I am sure I could get away with two, but 3 leaves me on the safe side. FX processers... I have several effects for both bass and guitar, and a few processors. I am not sure whether the impedance is going to be right though. Are there specific FX processors you had in mind? One of the coolest things i have ever heard is running my friends decks through my space echo.

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

Just get a laptop and some DJ software, then get some thrift shop turntables just for show, so you can look cool.

I played with Traktor for a while, but it just felt too fake. I would rather have my hands doing the manipulation.

• Members

from www.scratchdj.com

- What type of turntables should I buy for dj-ing?

I get the above question all of the time and my answer is almost always the same: "If you are at all serious about becoming a DJ, don't compromise, go with Technics 1200's or 1210's." Vestax' recent series of turntables are also quite nice and they do perform about as well, but in my view, they still just haven't quite caught up to Technics as the standard among scratchdjs and if you're ever scratching on a setup thats not your own (ex. a competition, a club with its own tables, or a fellow djs house), the Technics are probably what you will be find yourself in front of.

Inevitably the next question that I get from almost every person that asks me this is "Why should I buy Technics 1200's when I can get two cheaper turntables for the same price?" While buying top of the line gear can make you impatient since you often can't buy it all at once, you will be extremely thankful in the end. As long as its got a good crossfader, the type of mixer isn't as important at first, but if you insist on going cheap on the turntables then your skills and potential as a DJ might be seriously limited down the road by the technical inferiority's of a turntable setup that skips too easily.

Without a doubt, the Technics SL-1200/1210 series are the most famous and widely used turntables for both competition and club DJs alike. While they haven't changed the model much in years (they did release the MKIII not long ago, but even it is not much different), they created a practically perfect turntable and haven't really had to due to lack of competition from other turntable companies. The 1200 is the type of turntable that I primarily use and I wouldn't even think of using another brand except for as I said maybe one of the Vestax turntables that have come out recently and even then I would always maintain my Technics as a second setup. As for many of the other brands of turntables on the market such as the ones produced by Gemini, NuMark, or Lineartech, about all they do is try to look like the 1200's. While many cheaper turntables will play records fine and work for minimal mixing if that's all you want them to do, they're usually constructed of cheaper materials than Technics, they're less stable, they skip more, and in most all cases, they just don't last as long.

Even if you can only buy one at a time, go with the 1200's. You won't regret it. If you absolutely don't have the money to buy a nice mixer and nice turntables, then buy a cheap mixer at first such as one of the lower end Gemini or NuMarks with the scratch faders and upgrade it later, but don't go cheap on the turntables! Almost all cheap turntables will have problems with skipping.

• Members

Ok, so I can get a SL1200MK2 for about 200 used locally which I am probably going to get.

good price

I am left pretty wide open on a mixer. Do I need 2,3, or 4? I am sure I could get away with two, but 3 leaves me on the safe side.

channels? shouldn't matter much- with one deck your crossfader is really only used to turn the signal of the record on/off.

but----would you want to plug synth, laptop or bass into your dj mixer? that's the only thing to think about. but then- you're into a broader quality discussion. I use my mixer to run my deck and a mic (sm57) for sampling vox and drums into the kaoss pad (which is accessed via the FX send/return).

FX processers... I have several effects for both bass and guitar, and a few processors. I am not sure whether the impedance is going to be right though.

bass/guitar boxes are generally mono 1/4". your dj mixer sends stereo rca (most likely). the signals should be compatible. there are adaptors for this sort of thing (stereo rca to mono 1/4"). and reducing any stereo signal to mono for live use is fine IMO. it would even allow you to plug it into your bass setup with an A/B box should you get that desire (it would simplify your setup). otherwise- you can send your setup to a DI box.

Are there specific FX processors you had in mind? One of the coolest things i have ever heard is running my friends decks through my space echo.

I love echo for samples. I bet the space echo sounds awesome. especially for live tweaking. I like the EH memory man alot- easy to change the pitch of the sample. it may be ideal ultimately to have a stereo FX processor- but for live use it sounds to me like you have some things to play with. and you still have to learn how to play turntable! :) I'd highly recommend the 'skratch' DVD- especially the extra features from Qbert and Ztrip about getting started and marking records. very very helpful!

good luck,

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

To each their own, but I prefered the Numark TTX turntables over the Technics. And I'm surprised that no one mentioned a Rane mixer. :confused:

The TTX's have digital outputs. If you expand your system, this may come in handy. Especially considering that the Virus supports surround sound. Just add a Yamaha digital mixer. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

To each their own, but I prefered the Numark TTX turntables over the Technics.

putting you in a very small minority. I'm sure they work fine- I learned on stantons and they were ok---but for placing samples and scratching (especially live)- everyone else seems to prefer 1200s.

And I'm surprised that no one mentioned a Rane mixer.
:confused:

price range, or course. we're working with 400 bux. rane/pioneer is tops in my book but money talk$.....

The TTX's have digital outputs. If you expand your system, this may come in handy. Especially considering that the Virus supports surround sound. Just add a Yamaha digital mixer.
;)

:eek

when the hell did rock and roll have to become so complicated?:p

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

A few years ago I did minor DJing gigs, mainly more "set up and play" work than actual Dj'ing. I did high school dances, weddings, sweet 16's....etc.

It was probably the worst job ever based on the "fun" level because I didn't actually get to do anything, but DAMN did I make some money! :)

At peak, I worked like 2-3 nights a week at around $75/hour. For example, I'd get $400 for a 5 hour party.

I'd show up at like 6:30 and be out by 12:30. I'd just sit there and press "play" every few minutes based on songs from either a request list or a pre approved list of songs.

So I was making up to $1000 on an exceptionally good week.

I used 2 Stanton CD players, a Numark mixer and a Yorkville PA system. The entire setup was under $1500. I did eventually add a few toys, like Stanton turntables which I actually rarely used.

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

putting you in a very small minority. I'm sure they work fine- I learned on stantons and they were ok---but for placing samples and scratching (especially live)- everyone else seems to prefer 1200s.

price range, or course. we're working with 400 bux. rane/pioneer is tops in my book but money talk$.....

:eek

when the hell did rock and roll have to become so complicated?
:p

/johnny

l mix r

-- No scratching here. Just mixing and I'm glad I'm in that minority.

--Anything worth saving for is usually worth keeping.

--Does anybody put forthought in anything anymore.

So, what makes 1200's so great anyway? I am one that likes to challenge some stereotypes like the MPC for Hip Hop, Virus for trance, etc.

And please, not the everybody else uses it answer. :rolleyes:

• Members

-- No scratching here. Just mixing and I'm glad I'm in that minority.

but you'll hand out advice to someone wanting to scratch?

--Anything worth saving for is usually worth keeping.

--Does anybody put forthought in anything anymore.

numarks aren't as good for scratching and heavy sample live use IMO. I think there's more then enough forethought going on in this thread to show that.

So, what makes 1200's so great anyway? I am one that likes to challenge some stereotypes like the MPC for Hip Hop, Virus for trance, etc.

And please, not the everybody else uses it answer.
:rolleyes:

'everybody uses it' is a fine answer when considering value. industry standard gear is generally more desirable. those numarks decreased 25%-50% in practical value when you walked out of the store. 1200s hold value very well (just as does the mpc). they also have FAR superior torque and control for sample placement and scratching and they're built like tanks. those qualities may not matter to you as much---and that's fine- but for scratching and live use they most certainly do.

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

I've had a more accomplished DJ handle my TTX's as he never messed with them before. He almost gave up his 1200's to buy a set of his own. The only reason he didn't was "social acceptance."

So I don't agree in the superiority of 1200's. They do hold their value better but I think that's more so because of social acceptance. (Cult Following)

As far as my comment about saving money, I was referring to the Rane mixer.

Oxygen: 1200's my be the "standard" but definately try to test run some turntables for yourself and see what feels right to you. You may be surprised at what you like. Even if it goes "against the grain."

• Members

"social acceptance."

because of social acceptance. (Cult Following)

Even if it goes "against the grain."

in all due respect, MuzikB: who crapped in your kabob? what's with this tireless reference to 'social acceptance' and such? I'm utilizing objective data to support the 1200. I'm sure your decks work just fine. but let's not get which gear to buy mixed up with true 'social' issues here. and buying a numark isn't going 'against the grain'. real musicians don't give a crap (and the public certainly doesn't notice)- good music is good music whatever tool is used.

*however*- value is a substantial consideration when buying gear. period. I can respect where you're coming from. and I'm sure I'd rather have a pint with you over 99% of the 1200 users out there:)- so I'll just say I agree to disagree but will gladly try the numarks next chance I get;).

/johnny

l mix r

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

in all due respect, MuzikB: who crapped in your kabob? what's with this tireless reference to 'social acceptance' and such?

/johnny

l mix r

Yeah, I guess your right. I'm currently in the process of shrugging off some folks who seem to think that just because of my skin color, I'm "supposed" to only compose, produce, whatever...said type of music. :rolleyes: Experiences like this tend to get my chi out of alignment. :mad::D

It's all good man but definately give those Numarks a spin. :D

Archived