Live performer's Favorite Factory Presets Thread

wheresgrant3

• Members

OK... I'll say it... I like some factory presets. I know it's blasphemy to admit that some factory presets need very little editing to sound perfect, but I'm of the firm belief that "If it ain't broke, why fix it." Playing covers every weekend it's too tough to try to emulate sounds from scratch. At home, while recording, I've also come across my share of patches that sound great "out of the box". So over the past several months I've come across a bunch that I use frequently along with others that I have created.

Korg Triton LE

Combi's

B50 Kromatica- Huge, fat, rez-like pad that is a dead ringer for the intro synth to Kid Rock's "Bawditta Baw". All I did was add a portamento effect to SW1, which I can switch on and off at will.

B109 Knob as Drawbars2- Great wurly organ patch that I use for a number of cheesy 80's dance tunes (ala "Mickey", Footloose"...etc)

Programs

C58 Fat Syn Sync- I use for covering No Doubt's "Just a Girl"

C106 Octo Lead-Perfect for Devo's "Whip It"

C17 Classic Wurly-Dead ringer for the Rhodes on Nelly's "It's Getting Hot In Here"

ROLAND XP30

Perform:

User 24: Big Band- I use this patch to cover brass sounds for everything from Dave Matthew's to The Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye. Stand alone the sax is pretty good, brass is ok, but in the mix (and used sparingly) the sounds hit their mark.

User 17: AC Piano & Pad- Tone Switch 3/11 is a dead ringer for the pad played in the beginning of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer".

Patch:

XP-C Techno #150-JP Stack- Dead ringer for the string sample in Salt N' Pepper "Push It"

SR-JV14 Spectrasonics Special FX card- #118 FM Static. Perfect for the intro to 311's "All Mixed Up"

These are just off the top of my head for live use. Anyone have any others to contribute?

• Members

For the blues gigs I use "Dark Piano" and the "Herb Rhodes" patches from the S80. With the XB2, I use whatever drawbar setting that sounds good at the moment.

For the prog gigs, most of the sounds are coming from the Korg X2, mainly "Flutter Pad", "Lead & Pad", "MIDI Tap"(I think), all from the same bank. From the S80, "Pad Ooh" and "FatSweep".

Tuck

• Members

Not trying to be 'hip' here, but there are no factory presets in any of my synths that are OK as is - they all need some tweaking. That said, I vastly prefer to start with a preset and tweak it til I get the sound I want whenever possible. Re-inventing the wheel each time would be a waste of time; I only start from scratch if I can't find a preset close enough to what I want.

Archived