FS/T: H&K Cream Machine, Crunch Master

chroma

• Members

Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine & Crunch Master. Great sound, true tube amps that fit in a half rack space each. The Crunch Master is designed more for clean to crunch levels of gain; the Cream Machine is said to be more of a 'stunt' box that emulates a Marshall JCM50, and is way off in high gain territory. Both of them go to 11 :) I think they took a page from Spinal Tap there.... The Cream Machine is just gain and master. The Crunch Master has Gain, Master, Treble, Bass, Mid, and a Bright switch.

Both of these have some wear, but are in excellent electrical shape. When I got these, the cream machine didn't work at all, which turned out to be a bad capacitor in the power supply. So I went ahead and replaced all the power supply caps with new ones, and a few other electrolytics as well. They sometimes dry out after about 20 years anyways when used in power supplies, so it was about time. I also socketed the 4066s which occasionally go bad on these, and some other chips as well. So they are in about as good condition internally as you can get.

The Crunch Master currently has a Sovtek 12ax7LPS and a JJ/Tesla EL84 in it. The Cream Machine has a pair of old 12au7s; you can replace the first one with something higher gain as desired, but it has a lot anyways.

I will throw in a few extra tubes with each one; I have a new Sovtek 12ax7WC I will throw in with the Cream Machine, and a couple brand new EL84s (I think an EI and a sovtek 6P14 which is a drop-in replacement); otherwise, they are mostly old and not necessarily famous tubes but they will give you some various tonal possibilities.

I'm looking for $250 for the Crunch Master and $150 for the Cream Machine + $15 shipping or $20 for both. I also have a rackmount thing that screws into the front of each to mount into a rack. I love the sound of these things, but since my guitar is a Variax anyways, and most of the playing I do is in church where variety is more important than any particular sound, I'd like to get a Pod X3 Live. I'd do a straight trade for one of those (maybe + cash if necessary). If I get one of those, I could also throw in a Line 6 Workbench, which I won't need if I have a live.

Thanks much!

Archived