New tune, my contribution to a Fixx tribute CD

Trillian

• Members

Hi All,

I've been away for a little while so I don't know who is still here from the old gang:)

Anyway, I was asked to do a tune for a tribute CD to the band The Fixx recently and I did the song 'Are We Ourselves'.

I did a very very different version from the original. It's a bit of synth effects mixed with 'Going for the One' era Rick Wakeman-esque pipe organ and general silliness.

http://zenradar.com/areweourselves_astro.mp3

-Sheryl

• Members

Really nice cover, you did a good job making it your own while still keeping enough of hte orginal to be true.

BTW did you also do a tune called no stranger? I swear the lead vocals remind me of that tune. Thats a really cool tune.

It's 80's but in a realy good way.

eric

• Members

Great cover!

Love the synth blurps and pads. Overall production work is killer. To be honest, I really didn't care too much about the vocals. Nothing to do with the vocal quality, but the style seems too "teeny-boperish". Aside from that, the tune is just plain awesome!! I'm sure Rupert Greenall and the boys would be proud.:)

:D

Tuck

• Members

Great production as usual Sheryl.

Not familar with the original.

The only Fixx I remember was the song Red Skies and another single off that album.

The voice is a tad odd though and doesn't really match up to the quality of the music

...sounds like a speeded up Jon Anderson!!;)

• Members

The drums are very inventive- and different- they really help the tune have a different feel from the orginal (it's slower and moodier).

also- very nice synth work- lots of fun stuff in there for the listener- synced osc's, pads, synth sweep tags- a whole bag o' tricks that keep it moving along nicely. The reverb gives the song some spacial depth that's nice too (the original is very in-your-face).

Please forgive me for saying this (not meaning to say something ugly here)- but the vocals are the weak link. I really don't care for them (they sound like the lead singer for 'YES' with his nads in a vise).,

In summary- I've always liked this song, and I really enjoyed this cover.(who wouldn't want to hear some fresh air breathed into one of their old favorites ?)- thansk for posting that..

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

Really nice cover, you did a good job making it your own while still keeping enough of hte orginal to be true.

BTW did you also do a tune called no stranger? I swear the lead vocals remind me of that tune. Thats a really cool tune.

It's 80's but in a realy good way.

eric

Hiya,

Yes I did 'No Stranger'. I am slightly puzzled that pretty much everyone hates the vocals. Oh well, so be it.

I hope the mastering guy evens-out the bottom end a bit because it is sounding a bit 'boomy' now that I have moved my speakers.

In answer to your question music1234, I have lots of remixes and things on comp CDs out for which I have single-song agreements. I was supposed to have an album out this summer and it is already mastered and ready to go minus the artwork but the label has pushed it back until early next year.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

Hiya,

Yes I did 'No Stranger'. I am slightly puzzled that pretty much everyone hates the vocals. Oh well, so be it.

I hope the mastering guy evens-out the bottom end a bit because it is sounding a bit 'boomy' now that I have moved my speakers.

In answer to your question music1234, I have lots of remixes and things on comp CDs out for which I have single-song agreements. I was supposed to have an album out this summer and it is already mastered and ready to go minus the artwork but the label has pushed it back until early next year.

-Sheryl

thats an awsome track, now i really want to hear it. ;)

I think it was a good choice of songs. I always dug that one. Oh and for what it's worth.. I like the singer, so meh. *shrugs* to each their own.

eric

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

thats an awsome track, now i really want to hear it.
;)

I think it was a good choice of songs. I always dug that one. Oh and for what it's worth.. I like the singer, so meh. *shrugs* to each their own.

eric

Thanks:) Actually by the time they asked me to do something, the song I most wanted to do (secret separation) was already taken, so it was more a matter of what they made available but there were a lot of good songs. If I had the chance to do secret separation I would have done it completely different because I would have been very concerned about preserving the emotive feel of the original. Anyway, whatever, it was a bit of fun:)

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Purity_Control

maybe it helps too that I don't know the original so I don't have ideas about what this should sound like.

Same here, I had thoughts of Visage and Human League mixing it with very early Eurythmics. Sounds strange!:eek:

Mike.

• Members

I think I'll use up my yearly post to say that I'm rather impressed by this cover. Very nice work indeed! As with most others here, I'm not crazy about the vocals. Jon Anderson came to mind as soon as they kicked in.

[Engage cloaking!]

--JBytes

Archived