How do I sync a sampler and a drum machine?

BEAD

• Members

I figure y'all deal with drum machine stuff more that bass players do, so I'd ask this question here.

I have a Boss RC-20 Loopstation, and a copy of Fruityloops. I'd really like to sample basslines on the loopstation, and then line them up timewise with Fruityloops, so that they don't time out and sound awful after 30 seconds.

I'd like to sample basslines in the same time frame as the fruityloops drumline (running a drum line that changes throughout the song) without having them fall out of time.

Is it possible to run fruityloops, and then play basslines, loop them, and then overdub over those basslines (this is a feature of the RC-20) with my current gear? Am I exceeding the capabilities of my equipment? Am I explaining this clearly?

If you have any questions, please fire away.

• Members

The short answer: Set the midi clock in Fruity Loops to master (so FL will control the tempo) and run a midi cable to your drum machine and set it's midi clock to Sync or Slave.

I don't use either of your items so you'll have to check the manuals as to how this is done, but it will lock the timing of your drum machine to that of Fruity Loops.

• Members

Originally posted by Altered Flesh

The short answer: Set the midi clock in Fruity Loops to master (so FL will control the tempo) and run a midi cable to your drum machine and set it's midi clock to Sync or Slave.

I don't use either of your items so you'll have to check the manuals as to how this is done, but it will lock the timing of your drum machine to that of Fruity Loops.

My RC-20 loopstation doesn't have a midi input on it anywhere.

Archived