Help! Hooking up the gear!

jpo259

• Members

Sorry to tresspass, I being a bass forum regular!!! Once upon a time, I wanted to be just like Geddy Lee when I grew up, and in that pursuit, I obtained Bass Pedals (Roland PK-5). I also had a cheap little Kawai 'Pop' Synth to suck sounds out of. I have since got a Korg MS 2000R for that, too. The Kawai has a neat feature that allows you to stack 2-4 tones and set it up so that whatever root you hit, it plays a 3-note major or minor chord. Sounds FAT using a low octave with the bass pedals! I know that the Kawai is pretty much a toy, but, it does go over well usings it's tones with a bass pedal Midi controller like the Roland. Well, I got the Korg MS-2000 rack-mount 'cause it has such cool old school, Moog-ish tones, some of which work really well for a straight, Taurus pedal kinda sound. What I want to know is, can I hook all three of these things together so that I can play the Korg tones on the Kawai keyboard, and also connect the Roland to one or the other but still access the tones and functions of either the Kawai or the Korg???? How do I do this? Or, can I only use the bass pedal with one sound source at a time?? Both the Korg and the Roland have Midi In/Out/Thru. The little ol' Kawai only has in/out. How do I do the whole Midi connection thing??? Can it be done with these items?? Would it even be worth it??? Primarily, I wold like to be able to use the Korgs' synth patches and arrpegiator patches using the Kawais' keyboard. And, with the bass pedals, there are some patches on the Kawai I like, and some on the Korg I like. I so badly want to start using the synth stuff again, and I am in band now where some synth and sound effects here and there would REALLY make peoples' heads spin!!! So, what I ask, can it be done??? Thanks all you ivory (and plastic!) ticklers!:D

• Members

midisetup.JPG

this should work!

if your kawai has a 'local off' function it will not respond anymore to it's own keyboard, but only to midi data on the midi-in port. The keyboard still sends midi data. So, the roland and kawai both send midi data, these are merged and put into the korg. So, now both roland and kawai control the korg. The korg echoes its incoming midi signal to the 'tru' port, which goes to the kawai. So, the kawai gets the same midi data as the korg and plays the same notes. If you would not use 'local off', the kawai would respond to its own keyboard first, and then to the identical midi data coming in 10 milliseconds later and all notes get doubled. i hope that is understandable :D (if not... ask!!)

So, when you don't have a local off function in the kawai, you also need a 'midi thru box', which simply splits one midi signal into two. The roland's midi signal is split and sent to the korg and to the kawai separately. The kawai sends to the korg only (and not 'back to itself'!

Philip Rees always made those little midi devices such as mergers and thru boxes.

hope this helps! It is a bit complicated, I hope I understood you well and didnt make a failure :)

Archived