OT:Sorta Spam: Powered Speaker for Sale...

wheresgrant3

• Members

In the end.... the Peavey KB100 defeats the Samson db500a

Ok... it takes a real man to admit, that a quality piece of gear is NOT what he needs at the current moment. This summer I scored a deal with a used Samson bi-amped powered speaker for $400. I had been renting one for months (at $20 a pop) until I found this deal, and decided it would be nice to own one. The Samson, for my needs (mostly brass organ and pads in a loud rock cover band) sounded stellar and I after A/B'ing it next to a Mackie SRM450 I decided it was the amp for me.

Shortly after getting the Samson I scored another deal on a Peavey KB100 amp for $120 in excellent. Thinking it would be perfect for our practice room, I swiped it. It was a perfect marriage... I use the Samson for gigs and the Peavey for band practice. Then a few weeks ago, my bandmate told me he could no longer transport the Samson to gigs in our band trailer, because it was over it's weight limit (1800 lbs... gives you an idea of how much equipment we bring) and that I would have to transport it myself. So last weekend, after forgeting the Samson at my house, I had no alternative but to use the Peavey for the gig.

To my surprise.... it sounded great! I only use the amp as a monitor, and leaded up against a sub at 45 degrees, speaker facing me, I was able to hear everything clear as a bell. In fact it was even a bit better than Samson. Although it doesn't have the same fat full range sound... it was a little brighter and as a result I was able to monitor my playing a little better. Setup was also a breeze... took only seconds instead of minutes. Smaller and lighter...too. At 46 lbs I don't have to carry the same heft of the Samson's 61lbs.

As much as I would love to keep this thing... (perfect if I start playing acoustic guitar gigs again) I really can't justify the Samson when the Peavey does nearly the same job. Our PA runs through 2000 watts through mains, subs and two monitor mixes at 8 ohms... so I will never need any keyboard amplification other than monitoring. So sadly the Samson and I will have to part. If anyone is interested in this unit, drop me a line at wheresgrant@optonline.net. $300 plus shipping (Between $60-$80).

e4_1.jpg

aa_1.jpg

Archived