Ensoniq KT-88

Axe Victim

• Members

Can someone help me. I'm trying to find out if this keyboard is any good. My daughter is somewhat of an intermediate player. I'm trying to find a keyboard for her.

Is the Ensoniq KT-88 O.K? I can pick it up for $600 Canadian ($500 U.S.)

Also, does anyone know if a manual is available?

Does Ensoniq have a web site?

Thanks

• Members

EMU bought Ensoniq several years ago. Go to www.emu.com to get information about older Ensoniq products.

Here's the manual.

http://www.emu.com/support/welcome.asp?centric=700

I like Ensoniq synths as they have distinct sounds and synthetic function.

Whether KT-88 is good for you depends on whether you like it or not in terms of the sound, the keyboard action, and the condition, etc.

• Members

For the most part, Ensoniq is dead. Really too bad too. I have an Ensoniq TS10 that has worked flawlessly, its over 10 years old. My concern is the lack of parts available if/when it breaks. I've been looking around for a "spare" just in case. But I'm not going to spend a fortune on one.

You could check Ebay past auctions for the KT88 to see if you're getting a fair price. If you're buying from a local dealer, ask them what they will do if something fails and there are no parts available. If you're buying it via private sale, use the fact that Ensoniq is out of business as leverage to get it cheaper. If it breaks, you're on your own, so don't pay too much.

Besides that, Ensoniq has been good gear. The KT88 is one of their more recent models and should be fine, provided it doesn't have 10,000 hours on it already. Use a power conditioner to protect it.

Mike T.

• Members

Thanks for the advise/info. The keyboard looks new. Not a ding or a scratch. I have a friend that owns a sound and lighting company with a killer service dept. Hopefully if it breaks he can get it fixed. If I do buy it, it will be for home use only, no abuse so hopefully it will last.

I also checked Harmony Central for reviews. They're mostly favourable.

I will work them on the price based on the company being out of business.

and yes, Bill Nelson is the most amazing guitar player. Everyone should listen to Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape.

Thanks again.

• Members

Follow up on this keyboard.

I took my daughter to try it out. She was pretty excited when she saw it but, when she played it, she was disappointed. The volume was uneven across the keyboard. She played one chord several times and the volume changed even though she was using equal pressure.

We didn't buy it.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Archived